Rear Diff Fluid 1957 Buick Special - Dynaflow

John57

Any thoughts on evacuating and topping up rear differential gear lube?  Not sure if or when fluid was addressed prior, its full but thinking about getting out what I can through the plug with suction and adding new. If I do this what specific fluid should I use? Just looking for thoughts or recommendations.

Once again, many thanks!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ben! Not sure I would have though of that, are you saying one of the bolts that holds the pinion assembly to the axle might also act as a drain?  

Additionally does anyone know what replacement oil I should use that's currently available?  I am assuming I may not be able to get it all out so compatibility should be considered as well. 

Thanks much!

John

Not exactly on the pinion. The closest bolt to the ground is what you want. Try at the bottom of the rear pan if it's removable. Based on @Ben Bruce aka First Born's comment I suspect it isn't. In that case, try one of the bolts holding the whole differential carrier to the axle housing. Pick the one closest to the ground. Draining this way is going to be really slow. It can't be helped.

In my opinion, any modern quality brand GL-5 hypoid gear oil should be fine.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I used a hand siphon pump similar to the one below to suck most of the old oil from the differential in my '64 GP.  In this case, I wasn't concerned about getting 100% of the old oil; I just wanted to get fresh oil in there.

image.png.16a0039528475cc4c44db24fe6037298.png

• Like 1

90 WT gear oil should be fine. I have talked with the Pennzoil tech people about its use on a wife range of cars.

Either drain through the lowest third member bolt or suck out what you can. Take it for a 30 mile drive and do it again. For myself I got one more time, but that is me.

• Like 1