Pearl Gray engine paint

29 Chandler

The original literature for our car states the engine was painted "Pearl Gray", the literature of the time (1914) show the engine and components a light color. I am restoring the water pump right now and think it was originally painted the same color as the engine. Rather than just paint it black again I would like to try and find a paint to come close to the original color.

Any suggestions on what to use?  

A friend just sent me a picture of a color sample from 1910 for Pearl Gray, it's the lightest shade of gray they offered. Looking at the sample it is pretty close to the paint on the engine now. So that confirms its original (possible as the engine only has about 17K miles on it so far) or was repainted when the car was restored in the 1960's (more plausible).

But now after reviewing pictures of the other two surviving 1914 Chandler cars, their water pumps are painted black. Neither car is restored, nor are these cars (projects) untouched from the factory. So maybe it was always black and the factory image below is what they thought they would be?

default.jpg

16 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You could take the front cover to the paint store and have them match it. They have a machine that analyses color and gives you a formula.

Take some polish or fine rubbing compound and polish it first.

I wish it was that easy. The front cover was repainted a darker color some time in the past 🫤

good idea though 

On 2/6/2024 at 7:05 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Are there any other small, removable parts that have the original color?

Thanks Rusty for that suggestion. Sometimes the obvious things escape me. There is indeed a cover for the valves that I can easily remove and get the paint matched.