Studebaker Rockne 1932

Dodge

IMG20210825122109.jpg.c3451ce7152e862890ba0cf65ec3a04d.jpgDear people

Some bolts are leaking coolant trough the engine from above

Anybody now how to fix this

The threads have to much corrosion in the engine block 

I bought already new bolts but that's not stopping a couple of bolts still leaking 

Thanks 

Is this leaking out on top of the engine? On any engine where bolt holes go into the coolant, you must put thread sealer on the threads when you install and torque the bolts. The threads are a spiral and will leak. On a head this should be non-hardening sealer of some sort, so that re-torquing the head will be less likely to cause leaks. Permatex #2 is a traditional one, something like Permatex PTFE (Teflon) thread sealer or some other Teflon paste thread sealer might be a better choice. I believe GM has a product for this purpose too, but I don't recall what it is called. A little more under the heads of the bolts might be a good idea too.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot imagine a design where bolts go into coolant channels, I've never seen such a case.. That being said, sounds to me like head gasket is leaking around one or more bolt locations and coolant seeping up threads to top of head. While some sealant may stop coolant from coming up bolts, the fact head gasket may be leaking is not good. Torquing bolts may stop leak, but needs caution not to over torque. If you have a new head gasket or access to one, you may consider removing head and examining just what is causing seepage. 

• Like 2

I had this issue with the exhaust manifold bolts on a 392 Hemi. 

I have seen many engines that are tapped all the way into the water jackets.

I read somewhere that the GM target master engines were shipped with Bars-Leaks.

This is a common problem with flatheads especially continental engines. The shelf life of a new gasket  installed is about 3 years. In a 4 cylinder engine the offending bolt is between # 3 and #2 cylinders. On 6 cylinder engine the offending  bolt is between # 3 and 4. The head gasket at those points are very narrow between the bolt hole and the edge of the bore. The  bolts go through the water jacket. The bolt head usually carries a copper washer. The best grease to use is copper grease. Grease the entire bolt.  Sometimes the gasket at that point will separate and both cylinders will want to fire at the same time. This is a manufacturers defect.