A model of a Ford Model A, 1/4th scale

As I am still new here, and just starting on the resuscitation of a modeling project, I will post all future progress here.

It makes sense to do so and allows me the opportunity to correct my previous misstating the scale.

If I haven't said so before, I am very impressed with this forum, I appreciate the comradery, the humor,

and the breadth of "your" hobby and hope to reflect that in mine.     ("Zero to 120 in seconds!!! -that really is a pretty good joke!)

Edited by Mr. Don (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All the above, I had already posted here in another thread, and these are only parts of parts, that I had done a year or two ago, and sort of abandoned.

I chose the Model A, as it is probably the best documented car out there. (Arguably) And my intent is to, of the visible parts, make them one for one, and as accurately as possible. -I am very familiar with probably all the skills of model making, I managed one of the best scale model shops here in California for almost 18 years. Then did a few years making movie models and props. And for the last 26 years, I have been in the prototype / concept car business. (Hired as a modeler, but I don't get to do much of that anymore)

Anyway? I think I'm here for a while, so please stay tuned, and again, thank you for this opportunity.

• Like 4

Hello jpage, initially a 1931 pick-up. -and as I progress, (when I finally start to progress!), I will make multiples of parts, sometimes exploring different ways of making whatever.  -for example, I have several methods in mind for making the instrument panels. Way down the road, I may have a few chassis' and enough parts and time to make some other body/bodies? I might do an ambulance, a military ambulance? (I have a reason for this choice.)  -in short a '31 pick-up.

• 3 months later...

Well, a few months have gone by and nothing to show!  Sorry. -I have not given up but, been distracted by day jobs. And trying new to me techniques. Welding life size, and "micro-welding" (miniature tig welding for jewelers), and a once tried, gave up, and now new interest in casting aluminum. Lost foam technique, but on a small scale.

Anyway, I have been clearing a path to my workbench and am hopeful that I can resume my obsession soon.

Stay tuned!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

RKO Studios, eventually, eventually, slowly, became what is now, SONY.

26 years ago, already, I made models there.

The first Starship Troopers, Contact, and the first Stuart Little.   -best jobs I’ve ever had! Lots to learn and good people!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So when you discover a basic, basic mistake.  

(a-hem!)(cough - cough!)

You just go back and start from the beginning and make sure to be a bit more methodical!

That means rechecking your info, dimensions and lots of photos.

Another pattern and a new former.

And cut some more stock.

0728D9C5-88C5-493A-A958-AFD031336F27.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Don (see edit history)

Oops! I forgot to mention that I discovered a basic mistake!

My radiator shell is not tall enough!

My method here is to make a pattern to dimension, scaled down of course.

Parting wax was applied and a very durable epoxy jacket was created around the pattern.

Some more Nickel/Silver was cut, annealed and bent to fit.

At this point I’m filing the edge square and only after it’s flat will I solder it to the front.

Stay tuned.

(Perhaps I should make this a separate thread?)

• Like 1