eBay & PayPal

Hi there, I know this is NOT directly an Antique Automobile question, and I thought I remember reading recently about someone else have issues.

Did eBay & PayPal change their way of doing business recently? I just made a purchase on eBay and used PayPal as the method of payment.

I specifically said to use my PayPal Credit account for this purchase and not the bank card I have on file. I just got confirmation of the purchase and see that indeed they (PayPal) used the bank card anyway. It seems to me that something has changed but I can't put my finger on it.

Again, Sorry for posting a 'non automobile' question, but I thought others might want to know. I just now removed the bank card from PayPal to prevent this from happening again.

Dave

5 minutes ago, 9F94M567042 said:

Hi there, I know this is NOT directly an Antique Automobile question, and I thought I remember reading recently about someone else have issues.

Did eBay & PayPal change their way of doing business recently? I just made a purchase on eBay and used PayPal as the method of payment.

I specifically said to use my PayPal Credit account for this purchase and not the bank card I have on file. I just got confirmation of the purchase and see that indeed they (PayPal) used the bank card anyway. It seems to me that something has changed but I can't put my finger on it.

Again, Sorry for posting a 'non automobile' question, but I thought others might want to know. I just now removed the bank card from PayPal to prevent this from happening again.

Dave

Good Evening Dave,

Paypal and Ebay are now two completely separate companies.  Paypal is basically just one payment option for Ebay, the same as VISA, Mastercard etc.  I suspect that it is something to do with the presets in Paypal that don't always reset despite your selection.  It does sound like you have a handle on it going forward though.

Don

I have forgotten to click the default button on the Ebay payment page and spent my wife's money on old car things. It is on the left side of the screen and I told her my left eye is not so good since the stroke. She still believes stuff like that... well she lets me think she believes it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not really sure what your question is here. As Don said, there are many ways to pay for a purchase on eBay. 
Cash, check and direct payment from a debit or credit card is not only a undesired way of payment for many, it is a dumb way to pay for any.

So, there are brokers, such as PayPal is, which acts as a middle man in transactions, not only on eBay, but widespread throughout the internet world, who uses a prearranged method of payment for internet, or on line purchases.

Company’s such as PayPal sets up an account whereby your chosen method of payment, as a default, is on record with them. May it be a credit card, debit card or, I think, a prepaid cash account, which is established at the time the PayPal account is opened.

It gives a seller a small amount of assurance the purchase will be paid for because payment arrangements is previously made between the seller and PayPal. For this reason the seller pays a variable amount to PayPal for their services, and the buyer has some assurance that the purchase is of a legitimate item, can be made without providing the seller with personal credit information, and will support a buyers request for refund if a seller misrepresents, or doesn’t provide, a item, and a refund is requested.

PayPal has made a sneaky change, and it is worth knowing about. That change adds an option, which appears as a default method of payment selection which allows the purchaser to set up a payment plan, meaning….make multiple payments for the same item, using their default method of payment for funds. 
If you did not close this option as a method of payment, the seller has a open door to make as many charges to your credit/debit card as they want.

You must have a default method of payment on record to use PayPal, but you have no obligation to allow them to make payment, other than previously agreed to.

• Like 1