Help ID these cars for a rookie

vette-kid

We have been into cars as long as I can remember.  Generally the usual American muscle/sports cars (Im a corvette guy if you couldnt tell) and pre-war cars (We own 36 Plymouth and a 38 Chevrolet as well as a 47 Plymouth).  I dont know a lot about early cadillacs.  I few years back at a car show in Panama City I ran across this Lasalle and V16 and was absolutley smitten with them!  The two were near mirror images of each other and just beautiful cars.  I believe them to be 31's  Im hoping you all can confirm that and tell me a little bit about them.  Pics to follow soon.  

IMG_20191109_145942989_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191109_145930659_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191109_145732119_HDR.jpg

Edited by vette-kid (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like your enthusiasm.  Both the V16 and the Lasalle have been resto-modded which for most of us ruins them.  However, if you like them then good for you.    Easiest way to tell a resto-mod is the wheels as they are usually shorter and fatter than stock.   With updated suspension they wheels always have to be changed out and they give the car away.   I'm sure the builder thought they were an improvement.

The Caddy is a 30/31 and would have started out looking more like this.

1589848037_phplQs49W.jpg_full.jpg.0d2c00a660409065046a4e7932c6776b.jpg

• Like 2

That is a 1933 Lasalle. 1932 and 1933 Lasalles were very similar. That car should have a 353 cubic inch flathead V8 with 115 horsepower. The tires should be 7.00 x 17 6 ply. Lasalles were made for 14 model years and these two years had the lowest production numbers. 3,386 for 1932 and 3,482 for 1933. 1933 Lasalles  and V8 Cadillacs shared the same engine and exterior styling. For 1934 and after Lasalle styling was different from Cadillac. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I thought as much on the tires, but I didn't see anything else real obvious.   I'm ok with that style of modification.   I see it as making it more drivable so the owner can enjoy them.   Sometimes factory correct can put a cast out of reach for some of us.   My 36 is correct mechanically, but it's got some touches that aren't really correct, maybe period correct.   My 78 corvette was another example.   Modern roller block, electric headlights, etc.   But it all looked period correct. 

That blue V16 is beautiful!

Edited by vette-kid (see edit history)

Sorry, typo.  Meant to say it can put a CAR out of reach for some of us.  Factory correct restorations are cool, but generally speaking id rather have a car I can drive.  The cost to do factory correct can get out of hand quickly, searching for the right parts aften passing up a multitude of useable and cheaper substitutes.  Again, I love seeing them, but i have nothing against a resto-mod either.  Especially a tastefully done one that still represents the lines of the origional.

• Like 1

Not only have the wheels and tires been converted to a modern style on that LaSalle, but so has the transmission. You can tell because there is no clutch. Very like the original engine has been replaced with something modern. Normally, you wouldn't put a modern automatic transmission on a vintage engine.

The LaSalle has also had air conditioning added (the vents under the dash) and likely the steering column has been replaced with something modern. Which probably means the suspension and/or steering has been modernized.

With these modifications I don't see how someone could say he had a 1933 LaSalle.

Edited by Streamline Smitten (see edit history)
  • Like 1