1955 OLDSMOBILE

Zzotte

Merry Christmas everyone :) I have a 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 with a Rochester 4 barrel, and I’m looking for a throttle cable it has an automatic transmission if makes any difference does anyone knows where I can locate one? Thank you 

That hard linkage has to be set correctly for the HydraMatic transmission to operate properly and live, too.

Your best bet is find a 1954 or 1955 Super 88 or Ninety Eight parts car and get all the throttle and transmission valve rod linkage. An 88 with four-barrel carb can supply it too. Linkage is different on two-barrel carb engines.

Both the Oldsmobile Club of America and the National Antique Olds Club have classified ad sections in their magazines, along with model year advisor. Membership in either club is a good investment just for those features.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I have a 55 S-88........... No  throttle cable it's all hard linkage.............Bob

Thank you, so what can be done when the accelerator gets stuck going down the road? Besides changing my pants hahaha 

Go over all the pivot points on the linkage and pedal assemblies and make sure they are not binding. Is the carburetor throttle shaft binding? Disconnect the various points you can to check for binding. Is the throttle return spring inplace?

Is the motor mount loose/bad letting the engine raise up when accelerating? This was a common Chevrolet V-8 issue that prompted one of the early recalls.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zzotte said:

Thank you, so what can be done when the accelerator gets stuck going down the road? Besides changing my pants hahaha 

Well, if someone, somehow, rigged up a cable throttle linkage you are on your own. It could be as simple as the carpet getting jammed up or a broken cable strand. If you have a factory stock linkage you are also just going to look for whatever is binding. I also very much recommend getting a shop manual if you are going to do any work on the linkage. It's an over complicated arrangement that also controls your transmission...........Bob

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Well, if someone, somehow, rigged up a cable throttle linkage you are on your own. It could be as simple as the carpet getting jammed up or a broken cable strand. If you have a factory stock linkage you are also just going to look for whatever is binding. I also very much recommend getting a shop manual if you are going to do any work on the linkage. It's an over complicated arrangement that also controls your transmission...........Bob

Thank you, I will check it out