For Sale: 1940 Buick Super 4dr Sedan, 57K miles - $18,000 - Potomac, MD - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-29-2024.

For Sale: 1940 Buick Super 4dr Sedan, 57K miles - $18,000 - Potomac, MD - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-29-2024. See New Link Below:

1940 Buick Super for sale by owner - Potomac, MD - craigslist
Seller's Description:

50 Series Touring Sedan. Recent repaint; very attractive, two tone (French-English/Luddington Green.) Tune up, redone interior. Most chrome replated. Has rust in both of the forward outside footwells, but it is not structural. Everything works. NADA says 21.5K for perfect, 14.5 for good, so this one is a bargain. odometer: 57000
Copy and paste in your email: 7ba097a61fda3626b536a1ae3391806d@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1940 Buick Super 4dr Sedan.

'40 Buick Super MD a.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD b.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD c.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD d.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD e.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD f.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD g.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD h.jpg

'40 Buick Super MD i.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-29-2024. Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Very nice looking car, the two tone paint looks fantastic. 

I agree, but have some minor nits:

• Lack of rear bumper guards
  • Unless it's the photo, the front bumper needs re-chroming
  • Again, maybe a poor photo, but weren't the glove box door and the panel behind the dash instruments machine turned and not chrome, originally?
  • Can't tell if the upper dash panel, just below the windshield is wood grained, but it should be.

Price is in the ballpark with maybe a little wiggle room.

Overall, a nice old sedan.

• image.png.4bbc39f2505d294d2b52bbffda7aff61.pngimage.png.fc9e77cd2f67139f9fd54443561c4e3f.png
  • Like 2

I agree with you on all of these nits, but when you add up the cost to correct these items it is offset by the very nice paint that has been applied and the correct Bedford Cord interior. Is this car perfect? No, but I started from scratch with my car and I know the cost of what has been done and what can be done to correct the nits and I believe that you are way ahead of the game as this car sits. I am probably in the minority when it comes to the woodgrain, as I know it came that way originally, but I did not do the woodgrain on my dash and other areas. Buick did two colors of the wood grain in 1940. When I removed the speaker grill in 2012, I was surprised to see the ugly green wood grain that had not seen the light of day since 1940. I could have had someone replicate this ugly color, but I chose to go a different route and do a dark grey. Is it correct? No, but I have seen many wood grains that are no where near what was applied in 1940. So given my past experience, I would give him a pass on the wood grain.

Mike 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Drakeule said:

All:

BTW, wood grain was very washed out,so my wife did a "fix" by woodgraining it herself. Passable,but in no way perfect.

As to other points; front bumper is fine, no chroming done on the dash panels. Correct: no bumper guards!

There is a wet transfer process that I did not know about until a few months ago that looks great and is affordable that I am still investigating. I saw a Cadillac that looked like the dash was made of burl wood. My car is not complete, but I don't want the dash window to look like furniture.  

19 hours ago, kingrudy said:

There is a wet transfer process that I did not know about until a few months ago that looks great and is affordable that I am still investigating. I saw a Cadillac that looked like the dash was made of burl wood. My car is not complete, but I don't want the dash window to look like furniture.  

I suppose you are referring to a process called Hydro-Graphics!  It seems to have a lot of promise and far cheaper than a painted wood grain job. There is a bunch of wood grain type films available.  Removing the dashboard from a 40 Buick just does sound very appetizing to me and that's why I haven't done it yet.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Drakeule said:

Don't know how you could remove the dashboard; isn't it welded to the the front chassis box?

Not welded, mine was removed, painted and re installed. Problem is the wiring under the dash is a bit complex and I just finished that last summer and It will be awhile before I want to do that again. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Not welded, mine was removed, painted and re installed. Problem is the wiring under the dash is a bit complex and I just finished that last summer and It will be awhile before I want to do that again. 

It might seem welded if your windshield leaks.

• Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1940 Buick Super 4dr Sedan, 57K miles - $18,000 - Potomac, MD - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $16,000: 4-14-2024.

Still Available, Price Reduced to $16,000: 4-14-2024.

1940 Buick Super Sedan reduced - $16,000 (Potomac)
Seller's Description:

50 Series Touring Sedan. Recent repaint; very attractive, two tone (French-English/Luddington Green.) Tune up, redone interior. Most chrome replated. Has rust in each forward outside footwells, but it is not structural. Everything works. NADA says 21.5K for perfect, 14.5 for good, so this one is a bargain. odometer: 57000.
Copy and paste in your email: 76df184b9c2e360ca385ccebef23b250@sale.craigslist.org

• 1 month later...
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1940 Buick Super 4dr Sedan, 57K miles - $18,000 - Potomac, MD - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-29-2024.

Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-29-2024.

1940 Buick Super Sedan reduced again - $14,000 (Potomac)
Seller's Description:

50 Series Touring Sedan. Recent repaint; very attractive, two tone (French-English/Luddington Green.) Tune up, redone interior. Most chrome replated. Has rust in each forward outside footwells, but it is not structural. Everything works. NADA says 21.5K for perfect, 14.5 for good, so this one is a bargain. $14K/oboodometer: 57000.
Copy and paste in your email: a760fb410c6239f88238b6c0c4964a75@sale.craigslist.org

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidinCA said:

The price seems right, but the 1941 Roadmaster sedan in SD seems like a better deal. 

I would agree with you, but to paint the '41 would a lot of cash and the only way to do that right would be to dismantle it. The Super has fresh paint on it. Notice that on the Roadmaster where the rear door is open the paint looks very bad. A nice paint job could cost 20K.

I looked again at the Roadmaster and you’re right, the paint is marginal.  Beyond the price, it’s not that easy to find a really good painter willing to take on the task.  

• Like 1