Are cars from the 30's and 40's not selling?

theconvertibleguy

13 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Last time I heard My My Sharona was when the girls had me thrown out for playing it too many times. Me and a fist full of quarters on the sidewalk all alone.

I know the feeling.  I had a similar experience with "The I-40 Song"...

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I am sure Syracuse has at least one bar where the girls dance to juke box songs. Last time I heard My My Sharona was when the girls had me thrown out for playing it too many times. Me and a fist full of quarters on the sidewalk all alone.

Maybe time to switch to a different song.

''

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Last week at a club event my buddies and I had a conversation regarding this subject. It use to be that in the Chicago area you would see cars from the brass era up to the prewar at cruise nights and such. Last year I was at a 1,000 plus car cruise night and there were maybe 10 cars, including hot rods, that were prewar. As guys have passed on their prewar cars left the area and there has been limited new collectors buying. There are also those collectors that age out and don’t bring their prewar cars out anymore. Either way one can easily see what the collector car trends are by just going to a show and observing. Also look at old club classifieds from 20 years ago and you will find most prewar cars have dropped in price since that time.

In the last 5 years or so there has also been 3 local prewar restoration shops close because the owner’s retired. No one has stepped into filling that local void. 

So the way I see it is if the cars are not seen in public, then the public will not know much about them, and as such will not be interested in buying a prewar car.  Then again about 80 million new cars are made worldwide each year and that increases the variety of cars that a car collector may be interested in and the hobby expands because there is more to choose from.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 6:37 AM, jensenracing77 said:

The antique tractor market is even worse. My grandfather had a 1928 Huber HK. I believe the largest hand crank tractor ever built and boy was it tough to crank... 20 or so years ago he was offered $20K for it. about 3 years ago he asked me to sell it for him and wanted to get $20K for it. I did not have the heart to tell him it was a $7000 tractor now. It never sold and my uncle has it now. 

It may work out for me that the older cars are coming down in price because we are eventually going to get into that market. We would actually like to get back into the teens more than 30's and 40's but most of that stuff is still out of my reach.  

My father was the same for hte longest time. He eventually found something that was beat up, but worked well enough to clean the driveway but there's a ton of them out there that they want a small mint.

• Like 1