rear main seal

john compono

so far I replaced rear main seal on my 55 century twice , no luck stopping the leak. so now we realized its time to pull the engine and replace the crankshaft due to pitting and some rust that we tried to sand off but the shaft is worn in some area's and its uneven preventing the rope seal from making a tight fit. soooo my question is, has anybody used a product called BLUE DEVIL REAR MAIN SEALER ? of what I read about it, supposedly it stops or slows down the leak. thinking about trying it till I have time to pull motor and take out crankshaft to be re-done. anybody use it before ? thanks guys.

If it's something you add to the motor oil, it's probably a viscosity improver more than anything else.  Putting 10W-40 in place of 10W-30 might work just as well?  Whatever is in that product which MIGHT work will also be in the whole motor.

It is probably meant more for the rear main seals which are post-rope, which means some type of rubber or silicone, which the product can cause to swell about 2% to decrease any gaps between the seal and the crankshaft.

NTX5467

5 minutes ago, john compono said:

NTX5467 RIGHT NOW I USE 20-50 OIL AND IT LEAKS BAD AFTER I TAKE IT FOR A RUN. MAYBE ILL TRY THE 10-40 FIRST AND SEE IF IT SLOWS DOWN JUST TILL I GET SOME TIME TO PULL ENGINE OUT AND GET IT DONE RIGHT. THANKS.

I will not work, problem is the crankshaft.

smartin I used a original rope seal the first time, then the neoprene seal and now tried a graph-tite rope seal and they all did not work. like I said I'm gonna have to pull the motor to get to the crankshaft. just wish it can be done from underneath without pulling the engine out.