Want to buy a 6cylinder Continental 7N engine or similar engine.

Hello. Thank you. I am not real sure of what I think i’m even asking for. I found the 26 28 REO engine on the internet looking to be somewhat similar to my Haynes engine. I guess my first questions might be, can you provide some pictures. is your engine able to run. ( Not knowing if it will match up to my transmission) Is there a trans on or available for it. Is shipping available to Iowa. And then how much you are asking for it.

5 hours ago, Roy Haynes said:

Hello. Thank you. I am not real sure of what I think i’m even asking for. I found the 26 28 REO engine on the internet looking to be somewhat similar to my Haynes engine. I guess my first questions might be, can you provide some pictures. is your engine able to run. ( Not knowing if it will match up to my transmission) Is there a trans on or available for it. Is shipping available to Iowa. And then how much you are asking for it.

Hello Roy
I bought the complete drive train from a REO 6 for a speedster project.
I dont think I gona use it.
engine spins, is complete.
It will take me some work to take it out of the rack where I store it, but if you think you could use it, I ll take it out and send you a picture.
Engine and Trans $1500.
I can send it to IOWA...I think I can get a good shipping rate or I can strap it to a pallet and you take care of shipping.

let me know..Happy to help.
Fred

Edited by VintageRacingCar (see edit history)

I think you are right. The blind jug/head shows many freeze cracks and severe deterioration of wide open holes of more than three inches diameter at some of the crack spots.  We really haven’t looked into repair thinking about cost verses replacement of entire engine/trans. We probably should actually check the repair route.

Hey Fred,  Talked it over with my son and we are thinking we should look further into the repair of the 

Blind Jug/Head if the repair is possible. If the repair is not possible we are thinking the Continental 7N is a better match, If one can be found. If you don’t mind maybe we can keep you in mind if at some point we are unable to accomplish anything.  Thanks Roy

Water jacket freeze cracks usually do not do major damage to cylinders or valve areas. However, it would have to be closely inspected to know for certain that they were okay.

Usually, freeze cracks and even missing chunks can be repaired by someone that knows the right ways to do so.  However, be sure they are highly recommended by experts in the know! A ham-handed hack can do a lot of damage in the attempt to do the repairs. There are only a few people in the country good enough to be trusted. 

I knew a couple people some years ago, but do not think they are still available, and I don't have any good recommendations at this time.

I have done a fair amount of cast iron repair myself. I have done some good work I am proud of? And I have done some cheap and dirty repairs (simple repairs on cars not worth the expense or time, like a model T Ford engine block) that I would prefer to not admit to. So I know my way around it a bit. I will not do such repairs for others as frankly I am NOT good enough.

Maybe later I will tell the incredible tale of what can actually be done by someone that knows what they are doing and doing it right.

Hi Wayne, thank you for your comments. I think I can relate to your story with remembering some of my own experiences. I am now in contact with another gentleman who has also been down this road. The information I am getting here has really been helpful. Thanks again.  Roy