"Chevy's emotional holiday ad" (it really is)

JamesR

My wife and I thought so, anyway. We both lost our dads to Alzheimer's and progressive aphasia, which are very related. An extremely nice old Suburban is featured in the ad. Kudos to Chevy for putting out an ad that connects to people in a meaningful way. Warning: it's a tearjerker. Sorry if this has been posted already, but maybe some folks haven't seen it yet.

Chevy's emotional holiday ad features a grandmother with Alzheimer's engaging in reminiscence therapy. Here's how it works.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I use the phrase:  "a two hankie."   

Watch it closely.  Everyone's emotions and Gram's change is through the facial expressions.  It's a beautiful work of art...

...and such a message...

On the technical side, I really appreciated the authentic GM starter motor sound...  Today's gear reduction starters just don't sound the same.   

...and that 8 track tape player...!

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That ad reminds me of a trip I took up to Fort Erie, Ontario for a cruise night back a few years ago.  Rick Simpson has a Cord convertible that he got from his father in the early 1960s. I met him at his house and followed him the the event in my '67 Cadillac.

001.jpg.a37ce07e37445a0a2c0fe00fccdf4977.jpg

Rick told me they has taken the car to the ACD meet in Auburn a few times over the years. Due to a lack of parts in the 1950s the previous owner had fabricated a new muffler for the car with a lot less baffling and a very distinctive sound.

One year that previous owner was in the building and in similar condition to the woman in the ad. When Rick and his father entered the gate there was no mistaking the car simply from the exhaust tone. The previous owner amazed all in attendance when he announced the arrival of his old car.

I liked that story a lot. It is one of those special things in life.

That night I stayed to the end and drove up the Canadian side to Niagara Falls and crossed on the lower deck of the old railroad bridge. Then the remaining 60 miles home on two lane RT 31. As I passed the falls on that warm summer night a light mist covered my car. I thought "What a way to mess up a fresh wash job".

Good ad. Good memories.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

When Rick and his father entered the gate there was no mistaking the car simply from the exhaust tone. The previous owner amazed all in attendance when he announced the arrival of his old car.

That really is amazing...a great story. What a moment that must've been.

When I told my wife that the Yahoo article I linked to mentioned something called "reminiscence therapy", she said, "Oh, that's a real thing!" She's a speech pathology professor, and is familiar with a lot of these conditions and treatments. For people who love old cars, an exhaust note or exterior color or maybe even some aftermarket accessory could be the key to bringing back a memory. I think most of us come across something now and then that makes us remember something from way back when. It surprises us because it seems like a lifetime since we'd thought of it. 

• Like 2