Trunk Felt

66Goldmine

Hello there, I just joined the club and it looks to be a great site. I have a question about a trunk felt kit for a '66 Riviera. I read that the kit that is available from Classic Buicks. Com does not fit very good. I also realize that my car should have the (straw) type material that it came with from the factory. I have not seen this material offered at all and the felt would be perfectly acceptable considering the condition that my original material was in before I removed it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!    

Check with Jenkins Interiors in NC if you want the original type tan weave material. I bought the last original NOS material they had several years ago but pretty sure they reproduced it since then. I hope enough of your original material is intact enough to use as a pattern because they only sell it by the yard.

Jenkin Interiors contact

Phone: 336-902-0717 or 336-667-4282

Email: music_man_jetliner@yahoo.com

66 Rivs had 3 different trunk patterns depending on build date. Early builds had tan weave material with 1 piece floor section (not cut out for the spare tire cover). The majority of cars had tan weave with the spare tire cover cut out. Late production June 66 went to the black with gray fleck used through 1970. At the this time they also changed the cardboard from gray to black/gray flecked. Gray cardboard was used with the tan weave lining which is not available. Need to purchase black cardboard kit and paint gray if you want to maintain original appearance.

The black trunk lining is available in kit form by a member here on the forum. NC1968Riviera and also advertises in the ROA Riview classifieds

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info JZRIV. My material came up in pieces. No way to use it for a pattern. I have a 618-D build date. Tried to send NC1968 Riviera a message, but since I'm new this is what the site sent me...Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages. Not quite sure what that means?? I checked the rules and don't see that mentioned. 

7 hours ago, 66Goldmine said:

Thanks for the info JZRIV. My material came up in pieces. No way to use it for a pattern. I have a 618-D build date. Tried to send NC1968 Riviera a message, but since I'm new this is what the site sent me...Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages. Not quite sure what that means?? I checked the rules and don't see that mentioned. 

This is typical for many forums. They require a few posts and or replies before allowing private messaging. Believe this is to help control spammers. When you say you joined the "club" do you mean joining the forum here or the Riviera Owners Association? Once you join ROA you should be able to get the login info to view the Bimonthly magazines digitally until your hard copy arrives. There are many sources for used and reproduction parts in the classified section.

618-D is the interior trim code. Build code will be on top left of Fisher tag. Here is a pic of 66 trunk

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 66Goldmine said:

I joined the Antique Automobile Club of America, I haven't tried Riviera Owners Association. I will look into it. Build date is 11 D. Hoping my trunk turns out as nice!   

By all means join the ROA.  Tech advisors who really know what they’re talking about. The bi-monthly Riview magazine with parts and services in the classifieds, the yearly international meet.  Save $ and join for three years. 
There’s a link to the ROA in my signature block.  The JOIN / RENEW link is at the top of the left hand column.

66Goldmine I sell trunk mat kits in synthetic felt material.

If your trunk mat is the off-white cloth material, I don't sell that material.

I do know that Clark's Corvair sells trunk mat kits for 63-65 Riv utilizing the original style off-white cloth material. You might contact them to see if they will sell you any of that material in bulk.

If you decide you want to go with synthetic felt, I have it in Black and Dark Gray.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

hey Jason, that is a beautiful Riv. First time I ever noticed the unusual trunk hinge design on a '66. Q: where does the water go after entering those wells that house the hinges?

EmTee what you have circled is the gas tank vent loop. They looped it into the trunk high above tank no chance of fuel spillage at any angle......other than upside down. LOL. One end of pipe is connected to tank via hose and the other end is left open to atmosphere near rubber grommet where it exits back out of trunk. Big wide open vent as far as gas tank vents go. This vent can get clogged when car sits idle outdoors for long periods from mud dobber type wasps but I digress.

Yes the drains are unusual but very effective. I've never had them get clogged to where water would back up. Its a very special hose that dumps out above axle. Probably 1.5 or 2" in diameter. The exit end of hose has a very thin rubber flap valve of sorts that lets water out but nothing in. Similar to what you might see on drain boots for older vehicle A/C systems. That hinge cavity is also open to the rear cowl vent (screened) below window. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1