Transmission, you name it and you own it.

Jack Bennett

I have no idea what this transmission fits.

It was in the Fargo Express panel I recently bought, and I thought it fit the Fargo.

Once moved into the light, I seen that his transmission may have came to earth as ballast on an alien space ship because it does not fit the Fargo. 
As a fact, I have no clue what it fits, but if you do, it is yours for whatever shipping costs to move it from here to there. Or, if you are within shouting distance of Lakewood, Washington, and can pick it up…….it’s still yours.

The transmission apparently has a friction clutch, which appears to use lined shoes, which constrict and expand, rather than a pressure plate and disk.

It also has two legs extending from the front which appear to be mounting surfaces. My only comment in regards to these, or the grease cup which is attached to the transmission is ????.

If either you, or someone you knows can use this thing PM me and get it.

Oh yea, I’d say, since the shift lever does move, but doesn’t like to, this thing may be usable after a clean up, but is probably better thought of as a parts donor…….either way, the price is right.

Jack

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

• Like 1

Now I that I can see the rear of the transmission, without all the clutter of reality, I can see that it has a enclosed driveshaft, and the universal joint used with the drive shaft has a square end which connects into the tail shaft of the transmission.

Since this set up so closely resembles the drive shaft connection to the transmission used on my 1923 Dodge Brothers Roadster, I am lead to believe this transmission must for a earlier dated Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth or DeSoto vehicle. I will only say “earlier” than 1923 and leave the dating there.

Regardless, if you can use it, it is yours for the taking.

Jack

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not Dodge Brothers. Early DB's did have cone clutches but bellhousing was aluminum and had the transmission case cast as part of it, they looked about the same as your 23 or the one in the picture, background.

2 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

studebaker ?

Hi articbuicks…..The transmission being a Studebaker is a possibility, and I do appreciate the thought.

The fellow I bought the truck from seems to be totally immersed in motorcycles, and appeared to know nothing regarding the mechanics of the truck or anything regarding its past.

He apparently took the truck in on a trade for a motorcycle build, and when it was delivered to his place he had the previous owner push it into a rear corner of his storage barn, and there it stayed for years.

But, he seems to have taken in a DeSoto on the same trade, but it was stripped and parted out sometime between the time he got it and I bought the truck.

That leads me to believe it is some vehicle either Dodge Brothers or Chrysler was involved with during the turmoil of their buyout.

Regardless, if you want it, it’s yours for the taking.

Jack

1 hour ago, Mark Gregush said:

Not Dodge Brothers. Early DB's did have cone clutches but bellhousing was aluminum and had the transmission case cast as part of it, they looked about the same as your 23 or the one in the picture, background.

Hi Mark…….you have a good eye for DB stuff. The transmission in the background is, I believe, a 1924 or newer transmission I got with the trailer load of parts I got with the 1923 DB Roadster chassis.

That transmission has been totally rebuilt, looks like new, but has the reversed speedometer gear on the main shaft, and will not work in the 1923.

As the Roadster cooks in, and the transmission I built for it is proven, I will probably give that one away too.

You mention “cone clutch” as related to the transmission I have pictured, and that is an area in which I have absolutely no experience…..but now feel a need to research.

I will pressure wash, or if necessary, media blast the transmission to see if it has any identifying numbers, and, if it does I’ll post them.

I am thinking the transmission is from a older car, may be of a sort which someone needs to complete a project, but are scarce or no longer available.

And, if I take it to the dump, or put a “free” sign on it along the road, it will only add to the scarcity of the part, and I don’t want to do that.

Jack

• Like 1

Besides the one in the car, I have 3 more in different states of disassembly along with an aluminum one that was cut off :( behind the bell to use as a stationary power plant. 

The high tower that the shift lever comes out of and the clutch release bearing fork look like my 1922 Studebaker big 6.  The big 6 did not use a cone clutch in 22, however perhaps the special 6 or the light 6 did.  I'd put my money on Studebaker.  You might post the pictures on the Studebaker page and let us know what turns up.