For Sale: 1961 Comet 2dr Sedan, 26K miles, manual shift - Project - $4,750 - Hackettstown, NJ - Not Mine

For Sale: 1961 Comet 2dr Sedan, 26K miles - Project - $4,750 - Hackettstown, NJ

1961 mercury comet for sale by owner - Hackettstown, NJ - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1961 Mercury Comet parked since 1975, I got it running, new tank, rebuilt carb, fuel pump, new tires, new master cylinder and wheel cylinders, fuel brake line new carpet and front seat cover. No outer body rot and it has perfect side trim and original paint, except the hood! Needs a little work, not a major project. 

odometer: 26128, transmission: manual.
Contact: Call Bob (201) nine-one-three-7-2-eighty-one. No texts
Copy and paste in your email: 2d0b4e2c9afb3c6aa031eb1e3fc90507@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Comet 2dr Sedan - Project.

Note: For 1960 and 1961 Comets were titled as a stand-alone make nameplate, not as a Mercury model.  When the intermediate-sized Mercury Meteor joined the Mercury line-up for 1962, the Comet was given Mercury ownership.  

'61 Comet NJ a.jpg

'61 Comet NJ b.jpg

'61 Comet NJ c.jpg

'61 Comet NJ ca.jpg

'61 Comet NJ d.jpg

'61 Comet NJ e.jpg

'61 Comet NJ f.jpg

'61 Comet NJ g.jpg

'61 Comet NJ h.jpg

• Like 1

I like the cat-eye taillights on the 60 and 61. 62 and 63 lost some of their identity in the tail end.

Even though it was standard, and suits this base model, that 144 would sure make it a slowpoke. 

My dad used a 61 four-door as a driver for a couple years in early 70s. Dependable enough but with a worn-out 144 it could barely get out of its own way. I liked driving it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Even though it was standard, and suits this base model, that 144 would sure make it a slowpoke. 

My dad used a 61 four-door as a driver for a couple years in early 70s. Dependable enough but with a worn-out 144 it could barely get out of its own way. I liked driving it.

I ran a '61 Falcon as a daily driver 10 years ago for some time... The locals enjoyed it, used to get thumbs up often! It had the 144 and "three on da tree" as we say up here in Michigan. 1st gear would get you going pretty good but that was the highlight of power in that combo.

It threw a bearing one day on the way home and that was that but I still have a fond spot for the little car that could.