Crankshaft for 1955 Buick 322 Engine

Jeffrey1344

My mechanic says that the oil. leaking from the engine through the rear main seal is due to a "run down" crankshaft. WE replaced all the gaskets and the rear main seals and it still leaks. Is this anything anyone has ever heard of and/or knows how to find one. Mine is supposedly too far gone to be ground by a crankshaft shop.

Yes,I'm familiar with a crankshaft worn out like this.Over many thousands of miles the rear main seal can wear a groove into the crank to the point that a new seal won't help but for just a few miles.I had a VW many years ago that this same thing happened.I had a mechanic replace the seal and he told me that it wasn't going to last much longer.It did well for a couple of months,then started to drip a little,then leak a continuous stream of oil.I junked it because it wasn't worth fixing again.The car came from Illinois and was rusted out terribly.

Edited by Andy J (see edit history)

Thank you for your explanation. I had never heard of this problem before. I have a 1955 Buick with a 322 engine that is totally restored. I’ve had it for almost 30 years and have way too much money into it to sell and come out anywhere near the investment.

I guess it’s very unlikely to find an engine to pull the crankshaft out.

just have to live with the dripping 

Thanks for your input

We replaced the rope seal with one from Best that is rubber with a graphite thread. It's a two piece item. Unfortunately, my mechanic agrees with Rusty OToole's post that it would have to ride on the unworn part of the crank. It leaks whenever the car is not running such as in my garage or someone else's driveway G forbid.

Edited by Jeffrey1344
spelling mistake (see edit history)

Speedie Sleeve?

Sir. If the seal was replaced correctly and it still leaks(which it does) my mechanic feels confident that the crankshaft is worn down from over 120k miles that it’s beyond being ground to correct the leaking.

They pulled the engine and the dynaflow out and did some minor fixes such as a new timing chain kit and gaskets all around.

i have searched continuously for a replacement 322 with no luck yet as well as a crankshaft with low miles on it.

Are you familiar with Speedy Sleeve and/or Spray Welding as noted in the above postings?

thank you

Edited by Jeffrey1344
Adding other suggestions (see edit history)

Hi Gary,

nobody will see or comment on your question when in is posted under a Buick crankshaft question. 

Go to the top of the page and select “start new topic”. Be sure to include 1929 Graham clutch in the title.  

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

I can relate about oil dripping from crankshaft. I to replaced 2 seals before realizing the crank shaft was worn and a little pitted.I took engine out and removed the crankshaft and had it re-done. Was going to put a new crankshaft in that I found at CARS LLC. in New Jersey but I wanted to use my original one since it was already in my car and broken in kind of. End of the day the crank is back in and I have no more oil leaks ! finally ! but if anyone out there needs a crank shaft you can find them on eBay. Some rebuilt one's or new one's.