283 engine application

alsfarms

This question is for the Chevrolet experts among us.

I have two early 283 blocks and would like to know the applications for them.

1- casting # 3720991

Stamped number F 56 FB

2- casting # 3731548

Stamped number F 1106 CD

casting date code K56

Help me determine what the engine application and other relevant information is.

Thanks,

Al

Thanks. 

Now I am curious, is it just a bore difference between a 265 and a 283? In this case the block casting number is the same between the 265 and the 283. Did the Chevrolet just do a different bore depending upon what was being built? I remember a 283 being right on the edge boring it out to make a 301 out of it. More insites please.

Al

I am going to pick up the forlorn early engine that was represented to me as being a 283. However, I could find no 283 with a suffix code of "CD". Thanks to input here, It was pointed out that the engine was built as a 265 but based on the 283 casting number. I will use this core engine for donor parts as I build towards as correct as I can, a 270 HP, 283 for a 1957 Corvette. I don't have the correct single tower heads so I will use a pair of Power Pack heads. Thanks for the information help here.

Al

Yes, and a story you can't untell. I don't think this core engine has ever been down, so I am thinking this CD engine core will be 3-3/4" bore. It does have the correct dates bell housing and clutch assembly correct for a manual transmission.......that is good for parts.

Al