For Sale: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley Hardtop - "Must sell, Long time owner lost storage" - "Runs and drives well, Needs new hood hinge" - Southampton, NY - Not Mine - 11/9 SOLD! - 12/26/23 Flipping in Smithtown, NY - 2/20/24 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley 2-door Hardtop in Southampton, Long Island, NY  -  $18,695  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3477003139216965/-1954-Mercury-Monterey-Sun-Valley-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley 2-door Hardtop

• 2 owners
  • Driven 36,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green

Long time owner has lost his storage. Must sell this mostly original 1954 Sun Valley coupe. Runs and drives well. The only issue I see is that the hood spring in the passenger side has snapped. It needs a new hinge or have that one welded. Otherwise a really cool Sun Valley coupe.

image.png.df3f84563615cbda9a1c54f027967bae.png

image.png.9f63324508f86b21cdae3d97a2a2d6f5.png

image.png.b1dbf85226ecd4fdd4a930038bf67bbb.png

image.png.be2e35ce3ed8352df22956ef951c2b78.png

image.png.b0070e0a837ac4951956580ce9132230.png

image.png.d4e6c968ac362d1fd1b41cde29e3302a.png

image.png.30271d657664078443f55e4c8a1cc71d.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

I really like the colors on this car, but before I read the posts it occurred to me that that Plexiglas top that you can't remove might not be the most comfortable in the summer. Thanks DrumBob for answering that question. 

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

For years I thought they came only in yellow with a dark green or black top. Seeing one in this color is "refreshing".

Yellow and green was very popular in the mid-fifties years. You can see it on 54 Chevrolets and 55 Mercurys. A lot of top line sedans and 210 Del Rey’s were in these combinations.  

The color choices for 1954 Sun Valley was skewed towards green tones with yellow.  
The Ford Skyliner was freely available in all colors.  

The one two tone conundrum was whether the top color should hide the glass panel or highlight it.  The transparent panel was always a green tinted color which shows up as a dark area.  
If you paint the metal a dark green (as Mercury commonly did) the panel is camouflaged.  If you paint the metal white then the panel will stand out.  Not uncommon for restorers to change the roof color to white to draw attention to the feature. 

This car is Parklane green with a Bloomfield green roof, so the transparent panel doesn’t stand out.  

I once saw a 54 Sun Valley that was ordered as a demonstrator. Every option available including the rarely selected leather interior.  It was Bloomfield (dark) green with a white top.  Obviously they wanted the panel to stand out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, DrumBob said:

I love these cars, but they're sweat boxes in the summer

I guess if you keep the windows rolled up.

In reality they allow no more sun on the seats than with the top down on a convertible. In fact since the back half of the roof is steel, it allows in less light.  

Awwwww….but on a convertible you can put the top up!   Well, on a Sun Valley / Skyliner you can put in the covers over the glass panel to darken the interior.   

They are best in the fall when you can enjoy what is effectively a windless convertible with a comfortable interior. 

• Like 4

Since I’m talking about Ford transparent top cars, I feel a need to share that they offered a transparent top on Ford Sunliner convertibles!  

Yup, you could order a soft top convertible where the “fabric” over the front seat was made from the clear vinyl material that was used for the rear window.  

Incredibly this piece could also be made from a “green tinted’ vinyl.  

No originals are known to exist and I have never seen an original photograph of one but production records for Sunliners with Skyliner panels exist in the Ford archives. 

• Like 5

These cars are pretty cool. I agree that they probably get a bit hot in direct sun light. These plex tops tend to develop multiple hairline stress cracks near the edges. This one might have that issue due to the fact that the seller really doesn't include a good picture of the plex top. That would take the price down in my book.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here's a '53 Mercury coupe but roof on BAT that brought pretty good money.  Mind you it doesn't have the plex top.  But this Mercury is an anniversary car and in 53 it used a flathead.  I know a bit about the flathead Fords so I don't fear buying one.  The thing with flatheads is the distributor must be removed from the car in order to change the points and in my 47 it was a positive ground electrical system.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1953-mercury-monterey-9/

7 minutes ago, deac said:

The distributor must be removed from the car in order to change the points

That was 1948 and earlier. Starting with the all new 1949 model year the flathead V8 used a conventional distributor that didn’t require removal for routine maintenance 

For 1954 Ford and Mercury both had ball joint front suspensions along with the overhead valve engine. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, m-mman said:

That was 1948 and earlier. Starting with the all new 1949 model year the flathead V8 used a conventional distributor that didn’t require removal for routine maintenance 

oh, I wasn't aware of that.  I just took a look at the pictures and I can see the distributor!

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley Hardtop - "Must sell, Long time owner lost storage" - "Runs and drives well, Needs new hood hinge" - Southampton, NY - Not Mine - 11/9 SOLD!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley Hardtop - "Must sell, Long time owner lost storage" - "Runs and drives well, Needs new hood hinge" - Southampton, NY - Not Mine - 11/9 SOLD! - 12/26 Flipping in Smithtown

On 12/26,

Flipper listed for sale on OfferUp: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley 2-door Hardtop in Smithtown, Long Island, NY  -  $19,995  -  Must be a member of OfferUp to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://offerup.com/item/detail/57f09419-d635-32d8-8a92-a368180ecde9/-1954-Mercury-Monterey-Sun-Valley-Coupe

Also listed on Craigslist: https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/smithtown-1954-mercury-monterey-sun/7701117800.html

Seller's Description:

1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley 2-door Hardtop

• Condition: Good
  • 36,000 Miles
  • Clean title
  • OfferUp Seller: John

All original 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley. Dual glass pack exhaust. Front and rear seats reupholstered. 36k original miles. 2nd owner since 1980. Extra plexiglass top to go with the car. Car runs and drives very well.

image.png.e605be22028825acc5a7ecb7784ce00c.png

image.png.0fbaa3f3c287df2feb33a914bfb5562c.png

image.png.a945d1166c0e4986b905b9c37fa8e5b6.png

image.png.ee418620cd6398c51eb3a29c112eba47.png

image.png.603f32dd2f901827cff1f5a970994f8c.png

image.png.bbb00846aa27599a96519260c63535e9.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update info (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley Hardtop - "Must sell, Long time owner lost storage" - "Runs and drives well, Needs new hood hinge" - Southampton, NY - Not Mine - 11/9 SOLD! - 12/26 Flipping in Smithtown, NY
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley Hardtop - "Must sell, Long time owner lost storage" - "Runs and drives well, Needs new hood hinge" - Southampton, NY - Not Mine - 11/9 SOLD! - 12/26/23 Flipping in Smithtown, NY - 2/20/24 SOLD!