Oh if we only knew

I was in a junk yard back in the '60's when a customer cold chiseled the hinges of a 3-window deuce coupe, ruining both doors and door posts. Another time, the yard man torched the center frame cross member off an otherwise straight '32 Ford chassis, leaving the side rails in pieces.

No foresight, 20-20 hindsight.

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)

We ALL have stories of cars that we wished we didn't part out~even if we actually made a bit of money selling off the parts we didn't need off it.

I know I did in 1979 with a 1961 Lark Cruiser that had seen better days. Had I known just how rare they are, I would have taken steps to save it.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Good chance that '32 Ford 3-window coupe got plucked by a hot-rodder out of the junkyard in the 1950's when it appears the photo of taken.  Those were the 'holy grail' for the hot rod boys, those and the roadsters to make 'highboy' rods.  A 5-window was the second most sought after Deuce body style.

56 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Good chance that '32 Ford 3-window coupe got plucked by a hot-rodder out of the junkyard in the 1950's when it appears the photo of taken.  Those were the 'holy grail' for the hot rod boys, those and the roadsters to make 'highboy' rods.  A 5-window was the second most sought after Deuce body style.

This.  That car lasted about another week in that yard after the photo was taken.  There is a reason there is a photo of that particular car and no the other 500 pieces of junk around it.

• Like 2

In the mid-'60's when we got into junkyards to 'see what good stuff was there,' never once did we come across any 3-window, roadster, or 5-window Dueces.  Only remnants of any '32 Fords, mostly Tudor and a few Fordor body shells, all with the hoods , radiator shells, headlights, fenders, anything rodders could use removed.  These junkyards held about every other low. medium-low and medium-priced makes of late '20's-'30's cars.