Fairfield HCCA for Bob

I was probably at that show as well.  My parents took me too it as we heard about it on the radio - a talk show ( probably Bernard Meltzer) we used to listen to that also mentioned local activities. If we did attend it was in our 2 year old 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagon that my folks bought new at the end of the 1960 model year. The Ridgefield annual pre war car show was my favorite of all- great cars , all having running boards, excellent flea market around the perimeter of the show field, and activites for the car owners to participate in - like a teeter totter to balance their car on . Old 16 used to attend as well driven their by owner Peter Helck, plus many brass era cars and classics like Locomobile, Packard, Chrysler Imperial and Duesenberg to name but a few.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The tradition of the Fairfield County Region was that the car belonging to the meet director was featured on the dash plaque. The meet chairman was the club's vice president. Here is a photo of my girlfriend (now wife) sitting in my Model "A" at Ridgefield in 1979.

96564512_10101978710400519_5844247486696259584_n.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 7:42 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@1937hd45

Bob I think 62 was the year you got dropped at this show, rest is history!  Grabbed this from a fb post where poster found this in his parent's house.  Thought you would like it!

FB_IMG_1697709294581.jpg

That 1914 Kissel would have only been 48 years old in 1962.

A 48 year old car today would NEVER have the same impact on a showfield as a 1914 car did in 1962!!

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

...sort of like this?

No offense to the Esprit, I always liked Giugiaro's design of this (on the outside).

20231021_110914 (1).jpg

Like the Lamborghini Countach which also had a 25 year design cycle, that design lasted until 2004.    

Porsche has far exceeded 48 years with the iconic 911.

Craig

08efm008.jpg

13 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I thought this post was about the Ridgefield , Ct. HCCA car show in the 1960s? don't quite see/understand  how it drifted into the Italian sports cars.

Its all about DESIGN.  

GOOD (and functional) design stands the test of time.  The automobile as a concept was still evolving in 1914, and design wasn't even a prime consideration then.  By 1962, concentration on design sold cars more than anything, and still holds true today.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Ok, I didn't think this post was about design but about the meet itself and the plaque shown - the event was the topic. My mistake I guess , we each have our own interpretation of what is shown. Not arguing that "GOOD (and functional) design stands the test of time" but the cars at the show mentioned had a cut off date of 1932 then 1942 which I can attest to as I attended the show and drove my cars there to support the event. Again My mistake I guess.....................🙃 sorry if I read this the wrong way. I guess you have made your point.

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

I held off replying to that, as the Esprit was was Italian-designed (Giugiaro).

Craig

Design yes, brand is Lotus and that is a UK brand.

I've been there in the factory.

A lot of different car manufacturers  used Italian designers.

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Ok, I didn't think this post was about design but about the meet itself and the plaque shown - the event was the topic. My mistake I guess , we each have our own interpretation of what is shown. Not arguing that "GOOD (and functional) design stands the test of time" but the cars at the show mentioned had a cut off date of 1932 then 1942 which I can attest to as I attended the show and drove my cars there to support the event. Again My mistake I guess.....................🙃 sorry if I read this the wrong way. I guess you have made your point.

Thank you.

The proud owner should be able to show off his AACA plaque from this year's show on his 1997 Toyota Camry without any negative feedback as it met all the qualifications of an 'antique car'.

Craig

• Haha 1

Sorry to derail - I was playing off Craig's comment. I think the concept though is that automobile design has become a little homogenized. At this point there is little room to raking the windshield more, lower the chassis more, lengthen the wheelbase, raise the rear deck, etc. At some point we settle for a sweet spot within the boundaries of established lane widths, garage depth, etc. Now the designers have moved from the '90s jelly bean look to creasing the fenders and doors. Soon we'll be all about the jelly bean look again. You can only fold sheet metal so many ways.