Two Lane Traveler Website for Back Road Travel

3macboys

Has anyone traveled the Natchez Trace? It's about 450 miles long and I understand the speed limit is very friendly to antique cars.  

I'd like to try a segment with my '21 Franklin touring for several days, but need to further investigate.

6 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Has anyone traveled the Natchez Trace? It's about 450 miles long and I understand the speed limit is very friendly to antique cars.  

I'd like to try a segment with my '21 Franklin touring for several days, but need to further investigate.

We did the entire length in March of 2019 with a modern car but it would be very friendly to an Antique.  There are lots of cyclists that do it, so definitely speed friendly.  Lots of history stops along the route (everything from War of 1812 to ancient burial grounds) and overnight hotels are convenient.  Great BBQ in Nachez at Pig Out Inn.

7 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Its a beautiful drive and like someone mentioned tons of history along the way. Hot as heck in July/August so keep that in mind.

We did a full lap of the trace in a group of Model T's.  Great trip and lots of beautiful scenery and potential neat places to stop along the way.  My only caution is if you plan to stay overnight along the way.  We stopped in Jackson, Ms. and I would recommend other towns based on the level of crime there.

• Like 1

Back to back roads, we love them! We simply use Google maps set to "avoid highways."  Seen some amazing things along the way but sometimes road condition leaves something to be desired.  Life's an adventure.

Terry 

I've been traveling the roads less traveled since I was a teenager. The advantage of living out west is that one doesn't have to drive very far to find long stretches of road that satisfy the need for adventure. I have driven the remnants of the old Lincoln Hwy on several occasions. If long roads, seemingly leading to nowhere, is what you are craving you have hit on a gem. I personally love it especially in an old car. There is not much in the way of services where it takes you, just be prepared!

Thanks for the referral to that website. Even with modern cars i prefer a two lane country highway over a freeway route. As a youngster I was an avid motorcycle tourer and nothing is more boring than droning down a four lane for hours. I live in the SF Bay Area and there are some nice routes close by. The Pacific Coast Hwy. Highway 49, Highway 395, 50 to Lake Tahoe,  even US101 is a pretty nice drive. I've been exploring local back roads for over fifty years so I have to drive quite a long distance to find a road less traveled. 

When headed to S. Cal. I try to make sure I use 395 either going or coming. On 395 through E. Oregon the long stretches of road with almost no traffic, can be mesmerizing. Not much help if you break down though. Cell phone service is spotty at best. I like all the roads you mentioned. 

As an aside I think that the section of Highway 33, near Ojai, is scheduled to open within the month.