Old frame found

Peter seamans

Years ago, I had a 1928 Chevrolet chassis that looked very much like that! I had saved it from a scrap yard, and parted out the pieces. It was in pretty bad shape, I sold pieces cheap. I was really pleased when a fellow restoring a 1928 had a mechanically good rear end with a bent housing (apparently a common failure on that series Chevrolet?),  came along and found my housing straight but with the rear cover missing most of the insides were useless or missing. We were both glad I had saved it from the scrappers! He actually offered to pay me more than I wanted, I said I was happy someone that needed it got it.

1928 was the first year for front wheel brakes on Chevrolet, which my chassis had. Parts may be missing, but I don't see brakes to the front, so I would guess about 1926 or 1927. Front cross member and rear cross member/gasoline tank cover look nearly identical to what I had.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Layden B said:

Chevrolet Series C Classic Six from 1912-1914 is a 6 cylinder. It had a T head engine.

Series I Light Six was offered 1914-1915. It was an L head engine.

I should have said in the late 1920s.

Chevrolet also offered a V8 in 1917 and 1918. However, the vast majority (probably close to 99 percent!) of Chevrolet automobiles from 1916 through model year 1928 were four cylinder engines!

There is the rule, and then there are the exceptions to the rule.

And I could be wrong. It "might" be possible that it could be an Oldsmobile? However their last four cylinder was about 1924. Although the chassis and engine were very similar to some of the Chevrolet models of similar years, I suspect this chassis it later than 1924. I have known a few people with early 1920s four cylinder Oldsmobiles. But i never really worked on one to get close enough to the chassis myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1