1975 Toyota Hilux Chinook Camper - $8,000 (san leandro CA)

Reynard

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/san-leandro-1975-toyota-chinook-camper/7664760614.html

condition: good
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 95000
odometer broken
title status: clean
transmission: manual

Runs great!

Ridiculously reliable and fun to drive.

Has Webber Carb and doesn't require smog.

Original owner was an old man in Idaho that kept it stored in a garage, so was kept out of the sun and has no serious rust problems... just some light surface rust spots here and there. Also the dash is not cracked (which is super rare on these) due to being kept inside. Front cab interior is all original/unmolested with no rips in seats or any significant wear.

Still has that "Toyota scent/smell" inside!

I'm the 3rd owner.

Someone welded up a tow hitch in back, although I wouldn't try to haul much of any weight with this thing!

The gas heater has been removed.

Stove top works with gas. I've been using those dinky Coleman propane bottles. I rebuilt the sink pump and cleaned out the tank, so those are good.

Must of the original yellow interior and cabinets are still present, although the seats were removed and it now has a futon couch that pulls out into a bed.

Has the original (I think) 8 track player/stereo that works, but has a more recent detach-face modern cd player stereo w remote control that's connected to speakers in front.

Poptop works fine and canvas is in really good shape for its age.

The heater does not work.

Starts, drives and runs perfect but has a bit an oil leak in the front... however it isn't really dripping/using any oil that's noticeable.

Comes w the original toolkit, manuals, some paperwork (see pics), the jack for it, plastic leveling block deals, and 4x metal camper stabilizers so doesn't move/rock when moving around inside. Have an extra pair of brand new head lights, although the ones on it work.

Had the clutch adjusted recently, new shocks, new steering stabilizer and oil change recently. All of the fluids are clear/fresh-appearing ie: the coolant, brake fluid, etc.

(Will add photos of all of that stuff here shortly)

This is the cleanest/nicest Chinook of it's type that I've ever seen yet.

My woman and I love this thing and hate to let it go, but decided we want something bigger.

Will be adding more photos here shortly!

Text or email me w any questions.

PS - I'll be out of town through Sept 20th, so won't be able to show it although you're welcome to stop by and look at it if in the area.

$8k or best offer!

Patrick -- (510) 325-1201

00H0H_32KOaRwkKGY_0iO0e2_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_ipaohUlqJQJ_0f00ba_1200x900.jpg

01717_fkW1AMtVK70_0je0ee_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_epgOsrUJ7GV_0fi0kg_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

I had a friend 20 years ago who had one of these. I'd forgotten about it until this post. He wasn't an old car guy (he was into old motorcycles) but back then he said there was a small automotive/camping community devoted to this model of Toyota. I could see where it would be fun for a week long jaunt to either coast and back, but for anything longer than that I'd want something a little bigger...at my age, anyway. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I could see where it would be fun for a week long jaunt to either coast and back,

With that 4 cylinder engine there is no such thing as a week long jaunt. With no head wind it would take a week just to get there. A weekend to rest and another week to get home. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3