1921 Dodge Touring rear fenders delima again.

Don Jr.

Hi, I have been struggling with this 1921 touring which had as told had the wrong rear half on it when purchased. It had a 1917 back half just bolted to the frame as forum identified for me. It also had 1917 running board splash aprons just stuffed in car which again forum identified. I now have the correct running board splash aprons. I now have the correct back half bolted to the frame and lined up. I located the missing pieces under the rear doors that were always missing. I hung the rear fenders and now the 2 rear fenders hang down at different length's at the back. The left rear tip hangs about 1/2 inch below lowest point of rear spring shackle and it looks correct. The right rear fender tip hangs about 2 1/2 inches below the lowest portion of the rear spring shackle and does not look correct. My question is which rear fender would be correct. Both were in the car when I purchased this mutt. Touring fenders different from coupes or sedans? Does anyone have a photo of rear fenders showing proper location to shackles. Thanks for any help on this.

First, do both fenders have a panel that would keep slop from the tires from hitting the gas tank? Small triangle piece maybe 9 inches on the long side? They started in '18. I have seen cars known to be not wrecked or pieced together that have the same difference in rear fenders as yours. Most have been older cars, like '16 or so. Don't get excited yet. 

Yes, both have that. Did not notice length at end until I bolted both on the car. Both rear fenders have the oblong holes for mounting and are arranged the same. I took the right rear fender with me and visited another 1921 Touring a few months ago as I had an issue when hanging the right rear fender as the hole for greasing the rear spring front shackle was hidden underneath the extension by about 3/4 of an inch forward of the hole. I measured his rear spring mounts same as mine so assumed there was a change in late 21 as opposed to his early 21 touring. My fender matched his exactly so I extended that extension I purchased separately as it was missing on my fender. Bolted everything up and looks good. Sooo yesterday I mounted the left rear fender with the running board splash apron on the car. Well it fit like a glove and the grease fitting was right in the middle of the hole. Standing back my son noticed the left rear fender was hanging just below the rear shackle but the right rear is hanging about1 1/2 inch longer than the left one. I will photograph both and submit them later today. Trying to determine which one is correct. Both rear fenders were crumpled up from years past backing into the barn I assume but not bad enough to have both of them this far off. Gee cannot wait to hang the front fender! Thanks for the help.

O.K. The right one on the end was crushed more than the left one. I made a cardboard template of the left one to mirror the right one to be the same as the left one when I beat it back into shape. Will dig out my guides and recheck. I matched up my right rear to the early build 1921 I went to look at and it was the same as his. I did not bring my left rear to match it. Guess the question is which one would be correct. Cannot tell from internet photos. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The photo of the left fender more resembles what mine looks like. The right fender appears narrower, so it's shape could be causing the bottom to be lower. If you reshape the right fender to match the left, you may cure the problem. Its 100 years old so don't expect it to be perfect though.

Edited by cutdown (see edit history)

Thank you. Shaping the right rear off the car is like dressing a worm. The right fender is the one that was missing the front extension and thru looking thru several photos and searching I discovered that beginning in 1920 the rear springs were extended to 45 inches. So I ended up with the correct left rear fender and extension. Fell right  into place. But the right rear needed modification on that extension. Have it roughed out now and bolted but needs tweaking to be correct. I will remeasure the left rear to the right rear to make them match. Front fenders are banged up too. Bolted them up and have fit issues too. Slowly working them into shape. The old Dodge spent it's whole life on a farm from new to about 1970. Barley ran when purchased by second  owner and stored in a barn. He must have gathered missing parts and just flopped them in the car when I purchased it. A real mix of different year parts so has been a puzzle figuring out what is correct and what is not. Appreciate the support of the Forum.

Hi Again, I looked over the front fenders this morning that were bolted on the car. It looks like I have different bracing underneath the 2 front fenders. Right side fender has brace on a diagonal angle to prevent oil canning. The left front fender has the braces horizontal. So assume this was a running change or different year fenders? And i was given a sight to determine front fender years. Something about headlight mounts. Early fenders are riveted on and later ones bolted on. Is this referring to the actual mounts that hold the headlights on the fender? Both fenders have riveted mounts.