Fender Differences 1921 -v- 1922 -v- 1923

alsfarms

Early cars had rear fenders that, at their rear, did not extend down to the level of the rear axle.  Later cars had longer fenders, the rear of which extended down almost to the height of the rear axle.  The longer rear fenders were phased in over a long period of time, when you consider that closed cars began getting them in 1917.

Touring cars began getting them with the 1920 models.  Roadsters didn't start getting them until the late '21 models (essentially the 1922 model), according to Thomas McPherson in "The Dodge Story", but in his article "Dodge Brothers - Good Enough Is Not Acceptable", author Don Butler says both the touring cars (at car no. 363634) and the roadsters (at car no. 362375) got the longer fenders at the same time, with the commencement of production of the 1920 series cars on July 1, 1919.  I would tend to believe Mr. Butler's article, since he reviewed the actual production records kept by Frederick Haynes's assistant.

I'm not sure about the interchangeability of the two kinds of rear fenders.

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

I have checked in the parts manual and it appears that the same fenders were used from the end of June 1920 @ car #492394 to car#929894 @ the end of June 1923. If you car is a late 22 I am assuming that your car # is in the 800,000 to 820,000 area Hope I have been informative. Ron

Two differences in 114" WB front fenders. Early fenders had the headlight mount riveted on, later, 20-23, had them bolted which made them adjustable. Also, like the other fellow mentioned, late 20-23 should be the same and those also had a straight rib pressed in them to keep the inner splash area from "oil canning".