1923 Dodge Sedan Starter work/Generator not charging enough

DuncanM

Please help, been trying to fiddle with this starter generator for about a month or so. The starter works fine, but the generator side of unit doesn't charge enough. According to manual it's supposed to get 13 to 13.5 from positive terminal on unit but when engine is revved up only getting about 4 or 5 volts. Tried adjust screw on starter, checked copper and carbon brushes and seem to be fine. Cut out switch seems to be hooked up right. Just needing some guidance.

Please repost your question down in the Dodge Brothers section. Don't recall, but do you have the Mechanics' Instruction Manual? If you don't you really should, there is a section on the single unit cutout and adjustment. 

Dodge very famously had twelve volt electrics in the early 1920s. I think they began that way in the mid 1910s. If I recall correctly, they switched to six volt around 1927ish (maybe 1928?).

There were quite a few other cars of the 1910s and 1920s that used twelve volt systems. Many years ago, I saw a list of them. I wish I had a copy of it to share.

Since I have never owned one, I rarely ever check out the Dodge Brothers forum below. However, a quick look there shows quite a bit of activity there over the earlier four cylinder Dodge years. I second the motion that you should post your question there as well as here. Probably a better chance of getting an informed response instead of someone like me that has never really worked on an early Dodge.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/38-dodge-dodge-brothers/

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

Check the fuse on the top of the starter/generator.  It's a rudimentary over voltage protection that opens the field winding if output voltage gets to the point that it drives too much current through the field windings.  These cars depend on the battery for voltage regulation.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuncanM said:

Turns out the fuse holder wasn't tight enough and the points on the cutout switch weren't adjusted right. Thanks for all the help.

The follow up information you provided is great, thanks!

• Like 3