Here is a Bronzed Statue of a VIKING.  Ever see one before?

This Viking statue was presented to Oldsmobile dealerships taking on the Viking line from GM.  Everyone has heard of the GM companion cars which were lower priced products in GM's lineup of their standard products. Cars like Pontiac, LaSalle, and the Marquette are examples.

In 1929, Oldsmobile introduced it's companion car-The VIKING!  It took adifferent path for companion cars.  It was a much larger car and a V8.  When I acquired this beautifully preserve specimen, the Oldsmobile museum had a Viking on loan with a statue sittiing in front of it.

The depression was not too kind to the Viking and they were only in production for the years 29, 30 and a few 31's(with leftover parts from the previous 2 years.

I found this well preserved example in the Lansing , MI area at a large antique mall.

It had a dated tag  on the bottom showing the name of the presenter and receiving party.  My conjecture is that the presenter worked as the Viking distributor.  A conjecture has not been verified, but his family name is from a well known Lansing area family-still there.

100_2602.JPG

100_2603.JPG

Edited by Jim Morningstar
sp (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Wow, that is a very nice specimen. The one that was donated to the RE Olds Transportation Museum has surface oxidation and it was decided not to polish it out and keep it in an as found condition.Viking.jpg.dea6cc4e486658f8497a1a8c7624ead1.jpg

The Viking car has the distinction of being the first monobloc V8 engine - really sounds good too.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)