1930 DA Tire and Rim not fitting on spoked hub

HBergh

The rim has passed over the lip at the back of the wheel so leverage from the rear (drum side) is required.

Remounting the wheel on the car will hold it steady and perhaps another pair of hands to help lever back over the lip.

At the start of this thread, I thought this was impossible. But it obviously was not, as we have the photos. I said previously that my spares were not easily accessable, but the only way to put my mind at rest was to make the effort and get them out and try this for myself. I must point out that I did not fit a tire, just fitted the bare rim to the felloe, but I did make sure that the break toggle thingy kept the rim tight and together. I started by putting the rim , with that toggle and at the break point of the rim, onto the felloe so that the flat lip was on the inside of the felloe. Just like in HBergh's photo. Then, using a pair of large screwdrivers, worked my way around the rim, levering the rim through the slots of the flat lip, until I was directly oposite the break that I started from. I did that a couple of times and the flat lip slipped over the felloe relatively easily, so that it looked just like HBergh's photos. I was staggered that it went on so easily. OK, so now I had to get it off again. So starting oposite the break (where I finished) I again used the two screwdrivers through the slots to lever that side of the flat lip of the rim back over the felloe. I had to go back and forth a bit, but soon had it of again. I was even more staggered. Something that I thought to be impossible was indeed possible. DA rims are relatively flimsy, especially after being thinned down by rust over the years, and I believe that by doing what I have done, forces the rim to be streached slightly eliptical allowing it to be levered off. The screwdrivers I used were the largest I had, about 15 inches long. The key is work at it as though you were working on a conventional tire, rather than trying to lift it all off at once. Good luck. John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry about the shortness of my reply. I was on the phone to our taxation department at the same time and things eventually got very complicated, but I was not going to let them go after waiting a hour or so listening to "on hold" music.

I have reproduction rims on my DA, which are significantly different to original, too different to be of any interest to your situation. That was why I had to dig out some spares that I had. I actually just sat the felloe on a cardboard box, not on the ground, (so I did not have to bend down so far!!!) to see what would hapen. It worked out OK and did not damage the box, as I said, it went MUCH better than I thought it would.

Edited by Bullfrog_eng (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

To all you Dodge brothers that responded to my initial thread, thank you for all your tips and ideas to try.  However, I still have not been able to separate the felloe from the rim.  I plan to attend the NW Region tour in Astoria in a couple of weeks where I'll bring my problem wheel for show and tell.  Then, in October, if necessary, I plan to drive to the Hershey meet where I will show Romar and Myers.  Maybe one of them will have the necessary hardware in their shop to help me out and then mail my wheel back to me (I hope!).  Thanks again for all your help, Howard😒

I am not sure what the problem is. If understand correctly the rim ends are not sitting squarely If that is correct after mounting  tire and tube inflate it. Then deflate it completely. Bolts all the lugs. The rim will settle. Then inflate the tire This is a trick I used on my 28 DB Senior.

Good luck 

4 hours ago, dodge28 said:

I am not sure what the problem is. If understand correctly the rim ends are not sitting squarely If that is correct after mounting  tire and tube inflate it. Then deflate it completely. Bolts all the lugs. The rim will settle. Then inflate the tire This is a trick I used on my 28 DB Senior.

Good luck 

Please read through the post the problem is now quite clear.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, dodge28 said:

Good luck 

Dodge28:  That sounded like a good idea but it failed to work for me. I must have some other alignment problem. Thanks, HB

HBerg, I had many problems when installing tyres on my 28 DB Senior , 600/650 x 19 wood spokes. First I incorrectly used the spreader and overbent the rims towards inside. The tyres went in but I could not tighten up the clamp near the split. I removed the tyre from the rim, used a piece of 2x4 and cut it the  inside diameter of the rim and jamb it there. Then use a small bottle jack, set it on the 2x4 and jacked up the portion of the rim that was bent inwards. Jack it up a little higher than the good side so when you release the jack the 2 sides of the split will be level or equal. I did not use the spreader again. It went into the garbage. I made 3 leavers with large screw drivers and lever the tyres in. You will need a extra hand to hold the first lever in place while using the other 2 levers to move ahead. When mounting the the tyre deflate and tighten the clamps. Tighten criss cross and watch for rim seating  on  steel fellow. My 3rd. hand is too short so I got the Missus to help.

No book will tell you that. Experience is the best teacher. Not sold in stores.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's time to provide an epilog to my story.  With still no luck with everyone's ideas, I brought my wheel to fellow DB member that had more and better tools to separate the felloe from the rim and tire.  With a lot of effort he was able to work around the felloe a little bit at a time with a strong arm and prying tools to make the separation.  The felloe did end up with a couple of minor bends but they were able to be corrected later.  Sorry I don't have a final picture.  It does look a little worn with several places with missing paint.  At last I was able to remount the felloe and rim and tire.  Now, I'm looking forward to South Dakota!  Thanks again for everyone's ideas.  Howard

• Like 7