1937 BUICK HEADLIGHTS

37 Buick Special

Greeitngs!

Hopefully someone will have a little insight on Buick headlights. Specifically up and down adjustment. When I purchased the car the headlights needed restoration. This I did. I didn't see anything amiss with the workings and everything went back together fine. The adjustment seems quite high for both left and right. Utilizing the adjustment screws at the lower front of the buckets they both turn freely but there seems to be no adjustment change. Anyone know which way is up and which way is down. I am not looking forward to disassembling them again to see what is amiss. The adjustment process in the manual seems somewhat complicated.  

Thank you for any ideas.

Dave

Does the spot of light not move when you adjust? If I remember correctly the lens does not move.

As you know if you have been looking in the shop manual this is a weird system called Multibeam, and the aiming is crosseyed. You pretty much need to do what it says in the book. If it has a sealed beam conversion kit in it then I have no idea. If that is the case, I can go look at @37_Roadmaster_C 's Roadmaster, but not right away. It will probably be about a week before I am back to the garage where it is stored.

It has been a while since I adjusted my headlights. What type of bulbs are you using? I tried some LED bulbs that were sold as a direct replacement and they simply would not adjust properly. I switched back to original style bulbs and they were able to be adjusted properly. I basically followed the shop manual instructions except I simply parked the car in the driveway the specified distance away from the garage door, and used the garage door and a tape measure to adjust the lights to the height listed in the shop manual. If there is no movement of the light beam when you turn the screw on the bottom of the headlight assembly, I think you need to remove the lenses and check that all of the components are installed correctly. 

• Like 2

The reflectors are attached to 2 arms which lead to the adjstment screws and a fixed mount.

The reflectors are held inplace with small clips, in the arms,  in the front. Behind the reflecor there are small springs that hold the reflector in place against the clips at the front.

Without those springs, adjustment is impossible.

Reproduction springs are available I think.

• Like 1

Bloo: All original everything. No the focal point of the lights do not seem to move. The lens does not move but the reflector should. So suspect there is a problem with both adjustment screws. I guess I will have to disassemble the light to see why there doesn't seem to be any movement.

McHinson: All original bulb etc. This car was virtually untouched with any modern changes. Yep, remove the lenses. 

Don: It has been awhile but I believe those springs were present. Everything seemed in order parts wise. We will have to take another look.  

Thanks all,

Dave