1928 72 roadster for speed events

I have posted this under cars and projects and will update just that thread. This is just a heads up post.

I have decided to try to set up and use my Model 72 roadster to enter into classic speed/touring events.

Since this model came in 3rd and 4th at Le Mans in 1928 and 2nd and 3rd in class in the 1928 Mille Miglia, I have been lead to believe it would have a high likelihood of acceptance to participate in many events. The Americans at Le Mans event in Michigan at the ASF in late Sept would be the type of event I would target, just can't get it together by the end of September '23, I am afraid.

So I will use this post to chronicle my efforts and what it takes to participate, if I can even make it happen.

The largest hurdle appears to be to pass the FIA Historical Technical Passport which is a lengthy process. This, I am told, is a must for Europe.

I currently have a member of Goodwood helping with the process for Le Mans and another friend assisting with the Mille Miglia. Surprisingly, they are finding few people in Europe that are aware of the 72's history.

I also understand that some events will require a qualified/certified driver and my Goodwood friend is lining up a couple potentials who have an interest in driving a 72, in case I can't get qualified. I am checking with the various governing bodies to see if there are certain modifications, spec, etc, I need to comply with as I put the car together.

I have given myself a couple years to get this done, so if I don't die and can still drive, hopefully I can make a few events.

Any advice, comments or suggestions other than "you are out of your mind" are encouraged.

Here are the '28 Le Mans entrants

I am also looking for any information on these cars as they were prepared for Le Mans/ Mille Miglia.

Winner

4 1/2 Litre Bentley, 3583 curb weight, 130 horse power

Second

Stutz BB Blackhawk, 4478 curb weight, 115 horse power

Third and Forth

Chrysler 72 Roadster, 3004 curb weight, 85 horse power

587421fb33563.jpeg

• Like 5

Cool idea, I have studied this object for several years and also been in contact with some of the sources through the years, but have no contact details to recent participants. You should ask for info on several platforms to get hold of some of the people that has run Mille Miglia, LeMans Classic etc in the later years. To my knowledge nobody has run at Goodwood with a prewar Chrysler, which is a venue where as you state it always helps to have a driver with track record.

Generally you might say that to be competitive several modifications are needed (since everyone else also hops up their cars), but to have fun driving fast around the Italian countryside in Mille Miglia mostly requires to have a well sorted car. On the other side, heavily modified vintage Chryslers tend to do well on Peking - Paris runs (next in 2024). Enclosed is a picture of Ray Jones (AUS) Series 75 engine at Le Mans 2006, he was keeping pace with anyone in his class thanks to numerous modifications.

29ChryS75RLeMCRayJones2006(7).jpg.7fb5aed6712baa51e8bc6a50351360f5.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am working on the suspension. It appears that the factory front snubbers were replaced with Andre Hartford's like the ones in the picture

I think they were 506's. Anyone have experience with these? The car is around 3000# or 1360kg.

I am trying to figure arm length and the number of arms/discs.

I have no clue about the rear suspension.

Andre.jpg

1 hour ago, BlueDevil said:

I am working on the suspension. It appears that the factory front snubbers were replaced with Andre Hartford's like the ones in the picture

I think they were 506's. Anyone have experience with these? The car is around 3000# or 1360kg.

I am trying to figure arm length and the number of arms/discs.

I have no clue about the rear suspension.

Hartford is still in the business (UK) and can likely give you a good starting position for adjusting your shocks, number of discs etc. Do you have any pictures of the shock mounts as adapted to Hartfords? I have bought two pairs and would like to give them a try, as the stock ones leaves a lot to wish.

Anyhow interesting to learn about the S72 that failed at Goodwood and details about why would be much welcome.

The Complete Automobilist and Holden have them. Holden has modern friction discs that smooth out the action. The wood ones are a bitch notchy, I am told. They also have mounting hardware and everything from complete shocks to nuts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I worked on my FEDCO plate today.

Dash had been epoxy primed so I used Q-tips and Acetone to remove the primer. This is with about 3/4 removed from left to right

image.png.ca5eafef9a6f52b4c70ad0aad703fc16.png

Here it is with it all off

image.png.f93e8a0ae9c85092c83c28247f2fccb3.png

I then used a chrome paint stick 

image.png.83f1f2909f867be17cd3a4d32dc8d49f.png

image.png.7959defdb77f8ccaeb1a43ae350d8f9d.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Look what came in the mail today. The 2023 Mille Miglia book with a Chrysler 75 participating displaying my old number 40'

MM2023.jpg

MM 75.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the Rudge-Whitworth wire wheel conversion with some people in England.

Anyone know what the "D" and "G" mean on the knockoffs? Gauche et droite, left and right in French?

20211108_184017-b1606994-1920w.jpg

Interesting topic of adding knock-offs. I gave up a similar project some 10 years ago, as the only alternative quoted for especially the rear wheels was to bolt everything onto the brakedrums making it a "bolt-on knock-off". Compared to the overall cost I decided against it. My cars now run on original wheelhubs with updated spokes and one-piece rims which maybe does not look so cool, but is safe and works very well.