Special tool

JO BO

I've never seen anything like that but I have set up Ford pinions (and others). Bearing preload is checked and set by how much the bearings drag, and as such this has to be a very low reading torque wrench. I don't know if it would be useful for anything other than it's intended purpose. I guess it would depend on whether those marks on the scale are standard units of torque of just some service-manual-specific numbers. I use a tiny beam-type torque wrench for this, marked in very low numbers of inch pounds.

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I've never seen anything like that but I have set up Ford pinions (and others). Bearing preload is checked and set by how much the bearings drag, and as such this has to be a very low reading torque wrench. I don't know if it would be useful for anything other than it's intended purpose. I guess it would depend on whether those marks on the scale are standard units of torque of just some service-manual-specific numbers. I use a tiny beam-type torque wrench for this, marked in very low numbers of inch pounds.

According to the internet, if the correct spring is in it then it’s readings are in inch pounds.

• Like 1

I have seen the term "rolling torque' to set bearing preloads.

I remember that from when they were teaching us how to set up marine gearcases.

It would incorporate a very light beam type torque wrench if my recall is correct.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...