Laser welding - Who does it?

Bloo

The title says it all. Who does laser welding? Specifically handheld laser welding? Google doesn't help much with this. It would like to send you to hunderds of welding companies that mention nothing about laser welding in their own websites. I understand it's possible to weld even thinner material than with TIG. I saw a clip of some guy welding steel or stainless shim stock.

A license plate is the project. It is steel and thinner than you would expect a license plate to be. Several cracks. I have no pictures at the moment, but I'll get some up later if it helps. I'm hoping to have a much smaller heat damaged area than I would if I attacked this myself with a jeweler's torch. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Hi Bloo, it sounds like a scam. Tig welding is the best bet, but jewelers torch will also do the job. It takes some innovation, file the brazing rod "low melting"  down and use borax . Warm the rod and dip it in borax. Takes practice. Try it on scrap first until you get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

Thanks! Laser welding is a real thing believe it or not. The equipment is expensive and I don't expect to find it just anywhere. By low melting do you mean silver? That is what I was thinking of trying if I braze it instead of welding. Anything to keep the heat damage as low as possible.

Laser welding is far from a scam. We had a setup at an injection molding company that I used to work for. Maybe call a couple of local tool and die places or else maybe an instrument company? Like you said, the equipment is expensive and the people who can do it are still relatively few. But they're out there. 

I don't think silver solder would be a good joint for a butt weld/solder. I think soldering is typically strongest in a "lap" situation. Maybe a clock repair place would have a line on someone too. 

• Like 2

Hi Bloo, I just found online a few of what you are seeking: 'HIGH TECH LASER WELDING SERVICES'. As others have suggested you can try to fix it yourself via soldering using LOW Melting point Tin or Silver Solder. Just practice on similar gauge steel. It's very important to get the metal super clean. I've found that pre-tinning each piece of metal is best, either with a small flame or a large soldering iron. Best Wishes

• Like 1

Some jewelers have laser welders for jewelry repair. That could be another angle to take. I've used my friend's a few times. The problem with thin metal is that even the pinpoint heating will blow a hole through it. You have to keep shooting at the same site a few times... Or, you can build up material and you get a hole next to it. Some metals don't seem to weld well either even when you think they should. Further, if you have a one inch crack in the plate it will be impractical for some laser welders because of the amount of time to seal that up not to mention the amount of distilled water the machine uses and duty time.

• Like 1

Hi Bloo, I'm creating a wall display of old car/truck parts for my friend's Classic Car repair shop in Massachusetts and have a very rusted license plate from the 1940s but I plan to leave it as is to show it's age. I'll likely mount it to a piece of wood or metal to hold it together. Part of me wants to soak it in Phosphoric Acid [ Cement Cleaner ] but that will take away all of it's patina just like an antique wooden desk. So perhaps reconsider not restoring the Plate and just leave it as is and mount it to a blank plate. Best Wishes anyway. Tom

• Like 1

Just today I was talking to a body shop owner who was super excited as they're about to take delivery of a laser welder. I wouldn't say they are very common, but some of the more forward-thinking shops are making such an upgrade. For this plate, I guess an epoxy isn't a good option?

• Like 1

I don't think I would try epoxy, I would probably try soft solder(with an iron) before that. Probably neither one would have much strength. The trouble is once you contaminate it with epoxy, or solder, or brass, or silver, if it doesn't work out it makes welding impossible. I'm pretty good with oxyacetylene, but this scares me a little. It's so thin. It's also going to do a lot of heat damage even if I get the welding part right. TIG is probably the only realistic option (other than maybe laser welding), but TIG likes nice pure prefect metal for good results and this clearly isn't. I am also at just as big of a loss where I might take it for TIG welding.

Hi Bloo, In your wish to go with TIG Welding; you can look in the Right hand column under 'SERVICES OFFERED' and there is at least 1 of 8 shops listed that could help you with your needs. Best Wishes, Tom 

• Like 1

Hi Bloo, Your attachments are not coming up as photos. What you can do on your computer is save the photos as, 'Documents' or 'Pictures' and then name them. Then when you use the 'CHOOSE FILES', each one will popular in your post so you can see them before hitting 'Submit Reply'. Please see attached example from me. Any Expert TIG Welder should be able to repair your antique plate. You can also edit your picture so only what is non personal information gets posted, which I do just about every time. Best Wishes 1946IdahoTruckPlate.jpg.f115fdbb9b6199409cbeb282496d0573.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I measured a slight internal coolant leak on a Jeep 4.0. A parts counter man told me it was likely a hairline crack in the #4 position head. I saw the crack when I pulled the head. I suspect I could have laser welded the casting.

Top 5 Handheld Laser Welders You Should Consider: A Comprehensive Review - Baison (baisonlaser.com)

• Like 1