The missing '65 GS?

65VerdeGS

I requested documentation from the Sloan Museum regarding 1965 Rivieras.  The cost was only $6.50, and for this they sent the AMA specifications for the car, a press photo of a '64 (oops!), and a PDF of a multi-page computer printout called the "DAILY CAR REPORT".  I had specifically asked the nice young lady at the Sloan Museum for the last Daily Car Report for Riviera for 1965, as it would list in detail the production numbers for all regular production options for this year.

I've only started to decipher this 4 page printout, which lists every possible option code (some I've never heard of before) along with how many of each were produced. The Daily Car Reports were presumably generated each day during the model production run.  The printout I got is dated August 24, 1965 so would presumably include production numbers for the entire 1965 model run. 

I assume this report includes all 1965 Rivieras because it lists total production at 34586, which is in accord with other published sources, including the ROA.  Of these 611 Rivieras were listed as produced for EXPORT.  Interesting, huh?   Note that Rivieras were only produced at Flint, MI, so the totals under the "FLINT 40" column include all Rivieras made that year.

image.png.0945b9b30e50913ad00414e0465533ae.png

Now to the anomaly. Under option code M17  A9 (Gran Sport, it says 3355 were produced. The ROA website states that 3,354 Gran Sports were made. Hemmings web site and many others state that 3354 Gran Sports were made, so if this is an error, admittedly a small one, then it has been propagated across various sources. Note that the production number for option L80  A8 (Super Wildcat engine only) is cited at 3808, which is in accord with other published sources.

So, which is the correct number of Gran Sports produced?  Was the Daily Car Report superseded by another updated report.  Or have I found the missing Gran Sport we've all been looking for?  😉

The Daily Car Reports (actually the last cumulative report) formed the basis for the article series Options Not Included in which Darwin Falk summarizes statistics for each model year ....btw, the Daily Car Reports are copyrighted and should be stamped as so in red ink on your copy.

There is no additional report that I know of which is of a similar nature that would explain the one car discrepency. I discovered these reports decades ago at the Sloan Museum when I was in Flint and never noticed the error.

Tom Mooney

4 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

I requested documentation from the Sloan Museum regarding 1965 Rivieras.  The cost was only $6.50, and for this they sent the AMA specifications for the car, a press photo of a '64 (oops!), and a PDF of a multi-page computer printout called the "DAILY CAR REPORT".  I had specifically asked the nice young lady at the Sloan Museum for the last Daily Car Report for Riviera for 1965, as it would list in detail the production numbers for all regular production options for this year.

I've only started to decipher this 4 page printout, which lists every possible option code (some I've never heard of before) along with how many of each were produced. The Daily Car Reports were presumably generated each day during the model production run.  The printout I got is dated August 24, 1965 so would presumably include production numbers for the entire 1965 model run. 

I assume this report includes all 1965 Rivieras because it lists total production at 34586, which is in accord with other published sources, including the ROA.  Of these 611 Rivieras were listed as produced for EXPORT.  Interesting, huh?   Note that Rivieras were only produced at Flint, MI, so the totals under the "FLINT 40" column include all Rivieras made that year.

image.png.0945b9b30e50913ad00414e0465533ae.png

Now to the anomaly. Under option code M17  A9 (Gran Sport, it says 3355 were produced. The ROA website states that 3,354 Gran Sports were made. Hemmings web site and many others state that 3354 Gran Sports were made, so if this is an error, admittedly a small one, then it has been propagated across various sources. Note that the production number for option L80  A8 (Super Wildcat engine only) is cited at 3808, which is in accord with other published sources.

So, which is the correct number of Gran Sports produced?  Was the Daily Car Report superseded by another updated report.  Or have I found the missing Gran Sport we've all been looking for?  😉

So, if these numbers are correct then one of the 454 dual quad cars was actually a Gran Sport instead (3808 - 3355 = 453).

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Wish me luck in stumbling upon the missing '65 Riviera GS in a Barn Find😆✔️!

I guess you'll have to redirect your resources from mining Bitcoin...  ;)

• Haha 1