40yearRiv

40yearriv

I,ve got a 63 Riv that I want to convert to dual master cylinder/new booster.  Eventually would like to put disc brakes in front.  What I,m not sure about is can I use a disc/drum master cylinder, without the proportioning valve, till I convert to disc. 

Why disc brakes? They’re no better than the aluminum drums.  A dual master cylinder only gives you the piece of mind of having two systems in case of a brake line failure.  On the ROA’s website, under tech tips, is a write up on converting to a dual reservoir master cylinder which does not require a distribution block.

I have front discs and had the stock AlFin's in good shape on the original "jelly jar" and a 96 Roadmaster disc/drum master with manual proportioning valve.  The discs aren't hugely better than the AlFin's if the system is working correctly.  The Roadmaster master and AlFin setup was a bit touchy but worked well though I never worked the prop valve to optimized a front rear lockup balance.

I'd suggest new hoses all round and a direct swap (with some new hardlines) '67 drum/drum master cylinder plus prop valve and call it sorted.

• Like 1

Ed would you mind telling  me, can you Buick members in US buy new brake shoes with out the rivets, rivet holes mounting method.

My reason for asking, i have noticed alot from on this forum   members fitting only rivet mounted shoes,  and you may remember

when i imported my Electra convertible from US , they removed all the US shoes,---because of Asbestos, i had to do a new complete brake job here in Australia to get my safety certificate.

Well i  was able to buy here in Ausy new shoes, all no rivets, and they are top quality shoes, and my car brakes are excellent ,

also they come  chamfered at ends  stops any squeaking, and shoes looked very think.

all my cylinders i sleeved in stainless steel.---a couple of pictures soon.

P1090957.JPG

P1090975 (1).JPG

P1090954.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

Thankyou  Ed  and 60Flattop---thought you were able,---with the dollar really good for US

for buying  in Ausy---example  1 US dollar is now   $66.00  here  now.   and for memory  

they were $195.00 per full set --thats  about $140.00 US dollars --but the shipping would probably

be expensive.----regards.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

NAPA has bonded linings listed for first generation Rivieras.  I have no idea of their quality.  NAPA has stores in Australia, have you checked them out yet?  What do members of the Australian Region of the ROA suggest? 

Thanks Ed ,Normally i  just ship  parts from US, but small items and  filters  air cleaners,  etc i get from 

a Melbourne  distributor----and they very good. 

The ball joints i just got and a set of Delco ignition points from Rock auto, were excellent.

But the brake shoes  about 3 years ago i purchased  from the Melbourne distributor, were very good,

i should have taken a closer look at  the boxes they were in ,--forgotten  what brand they  were. .---other Australian  members here 

may have other  ideas. thankyou.

IMG_1790.jpgparts.jpg