64 Gas Tank Pressure-woosh!

TallJohn

This has happened to me about three times in the last five years since my car has been roadworthy. I go to get gas, unscrew the gas cap and woosh, there seems to be pressure in the tank. I had put a new sending unit assembly in the refurbished gas tank prior to installation. Overflow tube attached. Is it as simple as getting a " vented"  cap? Pinched overflow/vent hose? Anyone else have this issue? Car runs fine, just kind of strange feeling the pressure come out when taking the cap of. Happens rarely. Thanks folks.

17 minutes ago, TallJohn said:

This has happened to me about three times in the last five years since my car has been roadworthy. I go to get gas, unscrew the gas cap and woosh, there seems to be pressure in the tank. I had put a new sending unit assembly in the refurbished gas tank prior to installation. Overflow tube attached. Is it as simple as getting a " vented"  cap? Pinched overflow/vent hose? Anyone else have this issue? Car runs fine, just kind of strange feeling the pressure come out when taking the cap of. Happens rarely. Thanks folks.

I believe they should be vented. Here is the cap on my 1963. 

Bill

20230614_174832.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:06 PM, RivNut said:

My vent hose is just open at the end. ???

Just had my tank out last week and noticed that too. What is in the end of your vent hose @Riviera63?

mine goes down through 2 holes in the rear cross member and is open right at the edge of the rear bumper.

just curious, thanks 

9 hours ago, 71GS said:

Just had my tank out last week and noticed that too. What is in the end of your vent hose @Riviera63?

mine goes down through 2 holes in the rear cross member and is open right at the edge of the rear bumper.

just curious, thanks 

This is the way it was when I purchased it. I have no idea if it is right, wrong or indifferent. It appears to be a brass check valve of some sort. I would welcome someone to chime in and describe the correct configuration of this hose as it came from the factory.

Bill

• Like 1

yep, mine was just open to the atmosphere but i since inserted a bolt as i had a gas smell in my garage and it helped quite a bit.  I have not had any issues with pressure.  But also, i never fill my tank over 1/2 full either.  Not sure it matters but thought to mention.