First Generation Tilt Steering Column Interchangeability

TexRiv_63

Need help from the experts. I have a tilt steering column that I will be listing on Ebay shortly. It was identified to me as being from a 1964 Riv and my assumption was that it would fit 63 to 65 models but I need to verify if possible. any help is appreciated. 

buick3375.jpg

buick3375c.jpg

buick3375e.jpg

buick3375g.jpg

buick3375i.jpg

36 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I can't believe no one here can answer my question.

I can't believe it myself. I decided to ask someone so that you can get an answer. According to the person I talked to the tilt column is specific to each of the three years. Each year they made changes. I have asked one other person. I will report what what he says as well.

Bill

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I can't believe it myself. I decided to ask someone so that you can get an answer. According to the person I talked to the tilt column is specific to each of the three years. Each year they made changes. I have asked one other person. I will report what what he says as well.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I went ahead and listed it on Ebay with questionable interchangeability but can always edit it.

You can R 'n R the unit as a whole between years but if you get into exchanging certain parts there are differences.

The date of manufacture should be stamped on the chrome collar at the top of the column...but having said that, the collars can be changed and often are because the chrome plating generally suffers, even on well kept cars.

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

I dont know the answer to your question.  But I am seeking all turn signal related parts (cam plate and cancelling mechanism under steering wheel, the bell crank the cable and the switch) to suit a tilt column.  My car is a '63.

How much are you looking at for the column?  (Guessing you most likely dont want to separate the turn signal parts).

Regards.

Matt

2 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Cable can be made to work:

https://www.impalaparts.com/6364TSSCC/

Switch will work if car is not “cornering light” optioned:

https://www.impalaparts.com/6366TSST/

Ray

Thank you for that - and I am lucky in that my car does not have cornering lights - a big help.  

I understand a new bell crank is available also - just leaves the plate, lever and cancelling parts.

17 hours ago, Matt56 said:

Thank you for that - and I am lucky in that my car does not have cornering lights - a big help.  

I understand a new bell crank is available also - just leaves the plate, lever and cancelling parts.

Bell crank as in itty bitty plastic thing?  I looked for them a few years back and came up dry.  Was able to pirate one from a junk column to fix my car.   Curious as to a source, just to know where I missed it.  

On 6/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, 1965rivgs said:

You can R 'n R the unit as a whole between years but if you get into exchanging certain parts there are differences.

I parted with an early 1963 Column back in the 90s. From what I remember, the turn signal switch was mounted differently. The bowden cable might have been specific for those early jobs. So, yes, as a unit, should be interchangeable.

I noticed this when swapping to a later harness. Had trouble reaching the switch or, it was preventing full movement. Too many years to remember.

Switch location for later 63s appeared to be the same as 1964s.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:50 AM, Zimm63 said:

Bell crank as in itty bitty plastic thing?  I looked for them a few years back and came up dry.  Was able to pirate one from a junk column to fix my car.   Curious as to a source, just to know where I missed it.  

image.png.20d3caf248c372077eb0841ba05849f0.png

That eBay thingy appears diecast. Never seen that before. Diecast parts can break too.

From what I remember, my '63 had a nylon Lever. Better for wear at the ball and cable post. Maybe that was the original intent? Why not coat a diecast piece wear surfaces with nylon like GM's infamous camshaft gear?

When my son and I brought my Riv out of its deep sleep back in 2015, many things did not work. Right Turn signal functioned but Left did not. If I had forced it, surely that "thingy" and /or cable would've broke.

The culprit? Grit in the turn signal switch. Probably from media blasting back when my Riv was clinging to life, steps from being hauled to the wreckers.

That Switch is not sealed. Dirt can enter and cling to even old grease.

That grit was probably the reason the chrome turn signal cover was an absolute SOB to remove. IT WOULD NOT PULL OFF!

Like most everything Riviera, I had to devise something other than GM tool #J-21180:

image.png.29e0452eecd806bfca7244b8233deda6.png

image.png.1aadb3145df26f1d8e9e5520e82b9c84.png

image.png.d7388c47e8b7b0280cf29b09b6ba5cd2.png

• Like 2