63 Brake Light Switch

DaveC6970

So I just replaced the master cylinder on my 63 and now I have brakes again which is nice. But, I reused the old brake light switch and now, no brake lights. Is it possible I damaged the switch removing and reinstalling it? In hindsight I should have just replaced the switch when I replaced the master cylinder but never thought it would be an issue. Also, is there a preferred replacement part? Thanks for the help! Dave

3 hours ago, DaveC6970 said:

So I just replaced the master cylinder on my 63 and now I have brakes again which is nice. But, I reused the old brake light switch and now, no brake lights. Is it possible I damaged the switch removing and reinstalling it? In hindsight I should have just replaced the switch when I replaced the master cylinder but never thought it would be an issue. Also, is there a preferred replacement part? Thanks for the help! Dave

I used one of the following before and it worked fine.

https://oldbuickparts.com/product/brake-switch/

14 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

I used one of the following before and it worked fine.

https://oldbuickparts.com/product/brake-switch/

Thanks Jan, I appreciate the link!

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Remove the switch & blow out the crap inside & it MAY work again.

Much better solution is to convert it to an electrical, like '64 & newer.

Tom T.

Thanks Tom! I thought I might try this before buying a new one. Guessing this will require bleeding the brake again as well?

8 hours ago, DaveC6970 said:

Thanks Jan, I appreciate the link!

Thanks Tom! I thought I might try this before buying a new one. Guessing this will require bleeding the brake again as well?

You should not need too.  Pour a bit of fluid in the switch and install. 

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

If there is such a thing as a better Hydraulic Switch. Ron Francis Wiring has it. I bought his after being not impressed with the "Blue Streak Switch".

Thanks for the tip John, I checked it out. I like that it’s a lower pressure switch that allows the brake lights to come on sooner. I probably go this route if cleaning my current switch doesn’t work.

8 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

You should not need too.  Pour a bit of fluid in the switch and install. 

Thanks Chris, I’m going to give this a try today.