Please help ID GM door parts

greenie

I can't tell for sure if the door latch tag reads "control" or "Cantrel" (sic) Sub Body. 

I'd decipher that as for a 1949 wood Cantrell Suburban station wagon body. Don't know if the latch is generic to all 1949 Cantrell bodies or if there were specific latches for each carline Cantrell supplied bodies for.

Thanks for the Woody education. Who knows what this was doing on a shelf in a rural VA GMC dealership. Ironically, I found a 1946 GMC woody for sale, about 25 years ago, in the Fall Carlisle swap meet field. It was solid and the wood had been stripped in place but was not rotten. At $5000, I thought it too expensive. A week later it made another appearance at Hershey- and then it went away. Somebody got a great deal- I wasn’t bright enough to make it me!

Cantrell for the most part post WWII built bodies for Dodge commercial chassis . Focus pre WWII was mostly passenger car chassis. Cantrell had a good understanding with Dodge in the pre war era, most of their advertising showed their bodies on Dodge chassis. There was a very influential Dodge dealership network on long island at the time named Bishop - McCormick and Bishop. I have some of their sales paperwork from the 1920s. They had major showrooms in Brooklyn as well as Mineola in Nassau County.

the sales flyers I have for their postwar wagons does not show hardware in detail so can be of no use to help here.

Cantrell also supplied station wagon bodes for Packard ( late 1930s) and Franklin ( 1928-30 era). Did a lot of production work on Chevrolet chassis too - the Chevy plant was in Tarrytown , NY so not far away to send cars by train to long island about 50-60 miles east. I had contact in the 1970s with people who worked for Cantrell, they got their Franklin chassis from a dealer about 1 mile south of the Cantrell plant .

• Like 3