Unknown Tail light??

oldwhizzer

3 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Would the plug be an indication of the year range?

It could be Dave,I sent Layden Butler one many years ago but I don't remember if it mounted like this one or just on a pipe like Cadillacs of the era. If he gets a look at this one he will know for sure.

• Like 1

As Bruce McCalley ( editor of the MTFCA Vintage Ford) said " The first liar has the best chance".

Cadillac I believe, teens era after 1915. Made by Gray & Davis and called "French Style".

Stutz used a similar tail light also in French Style but made by Solar. It did not have reverse shoulder curves.

Am thinking this light attached at the top to the spare rim carrier for cars with wooden wheels.

It is earlier than similar lights that mount on a pipe that enters at an angle.

2 hours ago, Layden B said:

As Bruce McCalley ( editor of the MTFCA Vintage Ford) said " The first liar has the best chance".

Cadillac I believe, teens era after 1915. Made by Gray & Davis and called "French Style".

Stutz used a similar tail light also in French Style but made by Solar. It did not have reverse shoulder curves.

Am thinking this light attached at the top to the spare rim carrier for cars with wooden wheels.

It is earlier than similar lights that mount on a pipe that enters at an angle.

I goofed for sure. I went downstairs and looked in the Cadillac taillight drawer for the first time in three or four years and discovered that my Cadillacs used the mantle clock style. Some mount on a straight pipe some at an angle. Of those pictured some are original,some repo. Some light Layden told me to watch for 30 some years ago,I watched for,found one and sent it to him. Rather than the mantle clock reverse curve type,now I think it went straight over to the edge downward at an angle. Remember Layden? So it's doubtful any other make used that same mantle clock style,the original OP is probably Cadillac,body style unknown.

IMG_2811 (1).JPG

• Like 1

For those curious (as I was), here are a couple of examples. Steve or Layden, can you tell if either of these are original just by looking at the color and protruding lip around the lens?

This is said to be a 1915 Type 51

image.png.29b5e6e3a5f05ffc8555a7a430e3e019.png

This is from a 1921 Type 59

image.png.3360f44901a398bb37d43cd5486f568b.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

While I suspect all the Gray & Davis French Style to be Cadillac, I cannot definitively say so. The mounting variations may be year changes.

First picture attached is unknown brand light probably aftermarket from the era 1914-1917.

The other 2 are Solar French style:

Application is apparent on one, the second has jewels on the ends and is Cole.

Stutz used an identical light to the Jeffery, but with just a plain red lens.

Am I giving away too much information?

20200415_142124.jpg

solar french tail jeffery a.jpg

solar french tail cole a.jpg

On 6/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

For those curious (as I was), here are a couple of examples. Steve or Layden, can you tell if either of these are original just by looking at the color and protruding lip around the lens?

This is said to be a 1915 Type 51

image.png.29b5e6e3a5f05ffc8555a7a430e3e019.png

This is from a 1921 Type 59

image.png.3360f44901a398bb37d43cd5486f568b.png

Dave,

Both of those look like the original Cadillac taillights to me. I believe both out of the factory were painted,both of these look polished or maybe plated. The one on our 15 touring was lower and centered if memory serves,the spare carrier on the roadster doesn't look right for some reason so they may have done their own thing on the taillight. The taillight Layden is calling Stutz or Jeffrey is like the one I sent him many years ago,I just got them mixed up. Probably from inhaling too much vaporized acidic soldering flux over many years in the plumbing trade.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...