1940 Super Seat Maintenance

kingrudy

While the car is down with the radiator repair, I thought I would do some preventive maintenance on the seat mechanism. I removed the seat from the car and used some lithium grease to lube the tracks on both sides of the rails and the lever mechanism. I did what I could while attached to the underside of the seat, but I think (as I don't want to do this again real soon) I think that I will remove the whole unit and get all that spots that I couldn't get to. Any advice on this project.

Thanks, Mike 

Clean off the old lubricant and grime.  Use a scotch pad to remove stuck particles from the runners.  Relube knowing that you will have to do this again in 2095, possibly sooner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Today I removed the frame and began cleaning up the guides with the Scotch pad as suggested by Ken. At first I could not get the drivers side glide to move at all. So I lifted the lever and gently tapped on the edge of the glide and I was able to get some movement. I worked this back and forth until I could move it be hand. There is a cog on each side that seems to be gummed up. I think that I will try a liquid degreaser to break this down. 

I went to the manual to see if I was missing something and in the section on page 1-17, Operation 20 number 3, it speaks of removing a screw in the floor in order to remove the spring and then remove the seat. This spring attaches to the glide at the point in yellow. I have never seen this spring on my car. I have removed the seat a few times, no spring. Can someone take a picture of this spring and where it attaches. Forge ahead tomorrow. Thanks for any suggestions, MIke

IMG_1724 (3).jpg

IMG_1725 (2).jpg

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

On my '38, there are two springs; one on each side.  They connect between the rail and a small bracket (actually a washer with an 'ear') that is screwed to the floor.  The springs pull the seat forward, such that you have to push the seat back with your legs to increase the front leg room.  The springs are ~3 inches long and similar to the one below.

image.png.66ce00f4f417d926283aa0830157744a.png

• Thanks 1

On parts that slide or you cannot paint because the paint might get into cracks and freeze movement,  I use bees wax. 

After you have done all the cleaning possible,  heat the part with a heat gun....the bees wax usually in in a block form, so touch it to the 

warm metal parts and it will melt and start to flow.    You can spread it with a rag or brush and get into the areas that need covering. 

The bees wax protects the metal and also acts as a lubricant.     

I have also found some bees wax products in the hair care department of stores,  it is more the consistency of Vaseline and seems to work 

equally well. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

On my '38, there are two springs; one on each side.  They connect between the rail and a small bracket (actually a washer with an 'ear') that is screwed to the floor.  The springs pull the seat forward, such that you have to push the seat back with your legs to increase the front leg room.  The springs are ~3 inches long and similar to the one below.

image.png.66ce00f4f417d926283aa0830157744a.png

When I took the seat out of the car, there was one spring on each side. It was hooked to the oval hole (blue) in front and on a round hole (left hand side of the glide that I failed to mark) but it looks black and it is a square tab with a round hole. This would pull the seat forward and as you said, you would have to use your legs to push the seat back. I marked the black tab in blue. 

I was thinking of using a dry lube that WD 40 makes that I have recommended for door locks, or graphite. The Service and Maintenance Manual says, lubricate with Lubriplate whatever that is. 

InkedIMG_1724 (3).jpg

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

I used a very light coat of grease on the tracks and a couple of drops of oil on the sprocket shaft at the forward end of the seat rail.  I don't know if the '40 uses those sprockets...

• Like 1

Finished working on the glides for the seats this afternoon. The passengers side wasn't too bad, I could move it by hand before any work was done. The drivers side was stuck. I had to set it in a vise, lift the lever and gently tap it with a block of wood to free it. Eventually it would move, but even then I had to scuff it and apply some grease to be able to move it by hand. I did work it back and forth several times to make sure this will not be a problem when it goes back in the car. I did notice that I am missing three large rubber washers that cushion the seat back when resting on the seat bottom. I found one and it is about 2" wide 5/8" thick at it's thickest point with a 1/4" hole. If anyone knows where I can buy this, I sure would appreciate it. IMG_1735(1).jpg.60e5fbdb8f68d470b39009b6cb12b4d4.jpg

Well seat will go in the car after I track down a small electrical issue under the dash. No brake lights (always something).

Thanks to everyone for your input, Mike