1934 Chrysler Airflow Fan Spinning

The fan in this 1934 Chrysler Airflow CU is unlike anything I've seen before. We found that the fan spins free of the crankshaft, so we took the radiator out. There was some damage on the radiator, but when we took the fan off, we came to the same conclusion, that it does spin free of the crankshaft. I took the fan off, and there were wear marks on the pulley. I don't know how this fan is supposed to fit and work. Thanks for any advice. 

Here are 2 photos; I think the fan is supposed to be bolted to the pulley. The water pump is at the top, separate from the fan. 

Edit: my father came to a likely conclusion: that the piece that faces the fan in the first photo was vulcanized to the fan itself originally, as a damper. If anybody knows a service that specializes in such a thing, that would be a big help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by 57Classic (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am bumping this thread as I now know the situation. The fan was originally vulcanized to the mount, but over time the fan came apart from the mount. If anybody knows of a company that could re-vulcanize the fan to the mount, or perhaps a self-made alternative, that would be great. Thanks! 

13 hours ago, 57Classic said:

Hi all, I am bumping this thread as I now know the situation. The fan was originally vulcanized to the mount, but over time the fan came apart from the mount. If anybody knows of a company that could re-vulcanize the fan to the mount, or perhaps a self-made alternative, that would be great. Thanks! 

Richard Taylor had some vulcanizing done. Try contacting him about it.

https://forums.aaca.org/profile/132782-taylormade/

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Tim Wolfe said:

You might try Then and Now Automotive. They did some motor mounts for a friends Chrysler.

Thanks for the tip on motor mounts. I’m going to need new ones, the original ones are in bad condition! Also, we found a company in California that will finish the revulcanization. 

• Like 1