1936 dodge battery terminals? Which is pos or neg?

I bought a new battery last year and thought i took a picture before i removed it but guess i didnt. I am unable to get under the car due to a bad accident i had. I checked the manual and the battery they show is different and both terminals come through the same spot. Any ideas are appreciated! Just want to see if i can get her running before i sell her. Thank you!! The battery pic is driver side just a different orientation than the diagram. 

F39ED8B3-0D9C-4DE0-8EE3-CFBA62F02494.jpeg

4853E8BE-1024-48C2-9A42-4B029357F708.jpeg

Do you have a multimeter? The 7 dollar one that Harbor Freight used to give away should work fine for this. Put it on ohms, turn on the "continuity beep" if it has one, check from each cable to ground. The battery box should work for a ground if you poke through the rust. See which cable is grounded. That will be the positive, since it is a positive ground car.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, JACK M said:

Yup, the positive post on the battery is bigger than the negative.

Therefore, you should be able to see that one of the cables has been on a larger post than the other one.

That's assuming someone somewhere along the line hasn't replaced cables and installed one with the wrong size battery connector.  Verify which cable goes to ground before you connect the battery.

3 minutes ago, Farmallregular said:

That's assuming someone somewhere along the line hasn't replaced cables and installed one with the wrong size battery connector.  Verify which cable goes to ground before you connect the battery.

Quite possible.

But it looks to me that this setup has been used before.