Window flipper.

dlcoop

well @dlcoop  I'm hoping @2carb40 can help because although I tried I came up empty handed. Only one of the 3 '54 Roadmasters I tried had unbent rails or  springs that weren't rusted and broken. So upon trying to unscrew the 5-6 screws which were all rusted in and tapping on the screwdriver to help break them free, apparently a couple of bumble bees from the unknown to me nest in the headliner didn't like the noise and came after me. While swatting at them I stupidly struck my forehead with the  screwdriver.  

First "Pictures or it didn't happen"  ...  And I've  no idea why it's upside down!!!

IMG_4301-Copy.JPG.ba752f186e8be3f339cf2ec4975df721.JPG

I tried a couple more screws that wouldn't budge even using a combination of screwdriver and vice grip being real quiet so as not to disturb the little bumble bees. So, I next tried drilling the screws out and the little bumble bees certainly must not have liked that noise as the whole cursed nest came after me!!! This time one got me on my arm but the worse part was that while swatting them I knocked one of my hearing aids out of my ear and it landed on the floorboard of the car.  I collected most of my tools and went back to the house to give the bees enough time to settle down so I could later retrieve my hearing aid.

And now when I looked in my parts book, I'm not even sure the 54 and 55 "flippers" are the same. If they are I "might" try again if I can kill the bees. Anybody know?  

Picture two of POIDH showing swollen forearm just below the tat

IMG_4297.JPG.ffdfba5acc68658c1d47c5fc69dcf223.JPG  

and the headliner, home of the little bastards

IMG_4295.JPG.5db2000888abdcb1093893183eb347b6.JPG

Am I reading this right, that the 54 and 55 rails aren't the same? What could be the difference?!

IMG_4328.jpeg.674efb43828cff784b260eada8f1a3c3.jpeg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The only difference I can see between the 54 and 55 to 56 flippers is an extra pair of rivets, small ones at either end.  This is the same design as the tri-5 Chevy and Pontiac flippers.  These two smaller rivets allow the inner piece which holds the whiskers on with stables to be removed for a more solid replacement and the outer piece to be straightened and polished better.  The other style - and I presume this is the '54 - looks impossible to take apart for a thorough rebuilding.  

Otherwise springs are the same, look is the same, and function is the same.

If anyone has experience taking the harder ones apart, I would love to hear.

Dlcoop, I have a few sets that I will be playing with to get the best I can for my 54 Super.  When that's done in a few months, I will know what I can let go of.  So look me up around the end of the summer if you still need one by then.

• Thanks 2

The closure spring I have pictured above is a solid one, not broken off at the end, so it should be useful to you.

As for the broken piece you showed on Saturday morning, that right-angled piece which contacts the vent-window, I have pictured a good replacement as well.

So I don't understand what you need.

What you showed in your first picture is a broken actuator, and I have one for you.  It is held in place with two hinge pins, no rivets required.

I also have a replacement spring for you as well. 

As for the rivets, these can be found easily with the tri-5 Chevy parts houses.  Could you drill a hole through the fuzzy material right over the rivets to get a punch through it and over the rivet for installing a new spring clip?  There are some useful videos on YouTube on how the Chevy guys fix theirs.

If you need a new spring clip, show me what broke.  I have extras.

In case I am not understanding what you need, PM me you phone number, and we can talk it through...

Well hello there, John, and nice to hear from you!  The neon made it home in one piece.  I fabbed a crate with padding to lay it down in my trailer and had no problems.  It illumines my shop nicely - and the Buicks like it because it makes their chrome tingle...  Thanks for a good deal way back then!  15 years?  Pardon us for getting off topic...

16854999139392787640101576409367.jpg

Edited by Fr. Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1