Best Winch Battery

I'm curious about the basic specs for a winch battery for occasional hobby use. As I say, I have a 5000 lb winch, so no super heavy-duty pulling.

Twelve-volt batteries run from about $80 to $400+. It would be nice to be able to do about 4 pulls between charges. The trailer isn't hooked up enough to charge thru the tow vehicle.

Phil

Get the $80 battery.

Charge it before you use it.

I transport full time.

I have an Autozone deep cycle battery.

It is charged from my tow vehicle

aa I drive - it powers my trailer interior

12VDC lights & electric tongue jack.

Jim

Just asking.......... never now someone's situation.    They may have a building large enough for their toys or they may be hidden behind the garage. 

So they may have power readily available or need to run a 100 ft extension cord.  

I just visited a private collection that makes your mouth water......... large building with heat and a/c,  his office was in the building and a large room above the office for entertaining. 

7 Corvettes including a Callaway, Lingenfelter, C7 LT1.    only 3 Mustangs including a Shelby and Super snake.    At least 11 more and his big Newell coach was also parked in the building. 

Attached photo is from the steps going to the room above the office. 

IMG_1816.jpg

I use the 12-volt battery from the car that I leave behind when towing.  The trailer has a built-in charger that keeps the charge while driving.  I then put the battery back into the garaged car when returning from the trip.

I got a Duralast 24DC-DL 12-volt Deep Cycle Marine battery at Autozone ($109 + $18 core fee) along with a battery box. It seems like it's powerful enough and not too pricey. The "24" designation indicates its dimensions. I'll post a photo of my installation.

Phil

The last few batteries I've had in my trailer for the winch, lights, tongue jack have been the Duralast 24MD-DL. The last one I purchased only last a little over 2 years. The one prior to that lasted 7 years.  Duralast batteries are made for Autozone by three different manufacturers one of which is located in Eastern Pennsylvania (East Penn Manufacturing).

For batteries like this it is important to check the water level in them right after purchase and periodically after that. It is also VERY important that one puts these batteries on an intelligent battery charger/maintainer like a Battery Tender when the battery is not being used.

I am fortunate that my trailer is parked next to my house so I can keep the Batter Tender in my garage and run the 25 foot extension cord to my trailer to charge the winch battery in the trailer. This also has the benefit of being able to charge the trailer brake battery as well.