Miss Manners Gives Advice on Manners While Driving Antique Cars

bill pritchett

I get the impression that the reader is a reserved sort of person, which I can relate to. I like acknowledging other drivers. Being acknowledged is nice, too, but if I'm driving an old car I don't like to feel like I'm in a Shriner's Parade, either. Sometimes I feel that way in town, which is part of the reason I like to drive out in the country. The great thing about owning vintage motorcycles years ago was that you were usually only appreciated and acknowledged by other motorcyclists. It was more esoteric, which is nice when you don't like being in the limelight. 

I agree with Miss manners on this one.

It's best to act naturally, let your positive emotions show. Your enthusiasm, your love of old cars, the joy of driving an antique convertible, wear it on your shirt sleeve!  

It doesn't matter how reserved you are, there will always be those who judge you and consider you a show off. But we are not showing off, we are sharing that which we love with others. When you are artificially reserved out of concern for how others may judge you, the judgmental people will call you a snob, stuck up, etc.  Those who matter understand, those who don't understand don't matter.

• Like 4