Code's Not Able To Clear

TheLeftTomb707

I've been trying to get my 1990 Maui Blue Reatta registered in Arizona, but the engine light is on because of the throttle position sensor being too low. I've tried replacing it, but didn't work, I've tried replacing the actual connector because the clip was broke and I thought it wasn't making enough contact, but then the "too low" turned into "too high."

I also can't clear codes because my diagnostic mode controls, by use the fan up and down, won't do anything so I can't clear them. I have also tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for over 10 minutes, just to be sure, and that didn't do it.

So, I don't know if the tps is still messed up or if it is still just showing the code. Your guy's help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I have tested the connector with a multimeter and is says 4.7v so I don't really know what that means in this scenario.

PXL_20230329_003827623.MP.jpg

PXL_20230329_003906890.jpg

PXL_20230329_003942969.jpg

PXL_20230329_004007614.jpg

Edited by TheLeftTomb707 (see edit history)

It sounds like you could have two separate issues.

If all the controls on the Climate Control panel do not work, it probably needs to be cleaned. The contacts inside get dirty over time and cleaning the contacts almost always restores functionality. See here Reatta Owners Journal - How To Clean 1990 Climate Control Panel

Use the diagnostic function to read the TPS voltage. ED01 is the TPS and it should read .38-.42 volts at idle position and over 4.0 volts at full throttle. Of course the Climate panel must be operational to use the onboard systems.

Edit: Codes that are active will not clear and the TPS needs to be adjusted when it is being installed. 

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

Have to wonder if the aftermarket display below has caused HVAC problems. The Reatta has a tightly integrated ALDL LAN.

Once had a bad connector cause a TPS to fasil on a stop but read normal at rest. Found by logging parameters to a PC while driving.

14 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

Update: I have tested the connector with a multimeter and is says 4.7v so I don't really know what that means in this scenario.

If you are testing the connector with the key on between the black and gray wires you are probably reading the reference voltage supplied to the TPS by the ECM.

@2seater Though the fan up and down work perfectly fine as regular climate control and I can't control the diagnostic mode to test the voltage if the controls don't work.

@padgett I didn't think the aftermarket display mess with the HVAC since it's a 90 and doesn't have the oem touch screen. And I did already replace the tps connector if that is the connector your talking about.

@Ronnie When I first start diagnosing today the middle signal wire read around 5v disconnected and I was "huh" so I start messing with the connector and then it read around 0.2v, I then connected it to the tps and used a paper clip to probe the connector and it read 5v again then I took it out still read 0.2v.

So, I think the connector is a little wonky and the tps itself is bridging with the reference voltage somehow. Let me know what you think? Do you think I have to replace both of them again?

Edited by TheLeftTomb707 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

When I first start diagnosing today the middle signal wire read around 5v disconnected and I was "huh" so I start messing with the connector and then it read around 0.2v,

You're going to have figure out why your aren't getting a consistent reading. I believe the middle (dark blue) wire should have almost 0 volts with the connector unplugged. 

7 minutes ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

Yes, it reads 0.2v when unplugged but when I plug it into the sensor it reads almost 5v which, from what I've seen, it should read around 1v with it's fully closed.

It should be less than one volt when closed but if the arm on the sensor has not engaged the drive pin on the throttle shaft correctly, it may be stuck at full voltage?

If I am understanding correctly, you can access the diagnostics, since it shows an ECM code in the above photo, but the fan control doesn't work to get beyond the Ec? point, correct? That means you cannot step through the various sensor data readings??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

yes, I can't except or deny the Ec?

I cannot think of any reason your diagnostic system doesn't engage except the fan control button doesn't make good enough contact?? If that doesn't work, you are missing a lot of valuable and handy information. Maybe Padgett has a clue?

On 3/28/2023 at 9:17 PM, TheLeftTomb707 said:

I also can't clear codes because my diagnostic mode controls, by use the fan up and down, won't do anything so I can't clear them. I have also tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for over 10 minutes, just to be sure, and that didn't do it.

Disconnecting the battery cable is probably clearing the code but the code might be coming back as soon as you turn the key on because the ECM senses the TPS is out of range.

Does the odometer reading work normally when not in diagnostics? That reading is a function of the BCM so ???

I was just looking at the photos again and I notice with the engine apparently running, the HVAC control panel is dark? It should be displaying something if ignition is on.

If the HVAC panel is blank, there is more diagnostic information missing. Information is located in the HVAC panel as well as the buttons to change function. Something is amiss in that area.

Oil pressure doesn't look too healthy for almost 2k rpm but the pressure sender is a known problem item. 

11 hours ago, 2seater said:

Does the odometer reading work normally when not in diagnostics? That reading is a function of the BCM so ???

I was just looking at the photos again and I notice with the engine apparently running, the HVAC control panel is dark? It should be displaying something if ignition is on.

The odometer works normally and I have to have the engine running for it to go into diagnostic mode.

8 hours ago, 2seater said:

If the HVAC panel is blank, there is more diagnostic information missing. Information is located in the HVAC panel as well as the buttons to change function. Something is amiss in that area.

Oil pressure doesn't look too healthy for almost 2k rpm but the pressure sender is a known problem item. 

the oil pressure suddenly dropped one day while idling.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:01 PM, 2seater said:

It should be less than one volt when closed but if the arm on the sensor has not engaged the drive pin on the throttle shaft correctly, it may be stuck at full voltage?

If I am understanding correctly, you can access the diagnostics, since it shows an ECM code in the above photo, but the fan control doesn't work to get beyond the Ec? point, correct? That means you cannot step through the various sensor data readings??

correct, I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place huh.

2 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

The odometer works normally and I have to have the engine running for it to go into diagnostic mode.

Something doesn't look right here. The engine should not need to be running to get into diagnostic mode, only key on. But that is beside the point, since it appears the engine was running with indicated oil pressure and rpm visible, and yet the HVAC panel was blank and dark? I don't have my car home to confirm exactly what it should look like at the moment before getting into the ECM sensor displays. Can anyone confirm??

Regarding the cleaning of the HVAC panel. The contacts are inside the little gray buttons. It is similar to cleaning phone button pads or remotes for tv's and such. Everything runs on very low voltages so it doesn't take much. The most common failure mode of the buttons is the ability to raise or lower temperature, but even if it doesn't cure the problem, it eliminates one possible cause. 

The diagnostic displays are a function of the BCM.

12 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

the oil pressure suddenly dropped one day while idling.

Bad oil pressure sender?  Could a sensed loss of oil pressure make the ECU shut-off the fuel pump?

17 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

I stand corrected, I'm testing stuff tonight and it actually went into diagnostic mode with just key on, the first time it's actually done it. Because before it would just flash the IPC and ECC for about 0.5 second and do nothing.

Does it still fail to go past Ec? when you press Fan Up? You can read codes but not actual sensor data if that issue still exists.

to EmTee's question -

Yes if oil pressure drops low enough the Fuel Pump will drop out.  Power to the fuel pump when the engine is running is supplied through NO contacts in the oil pressure sending unit.

Years ago when I bought my first Reatta it was hard to start but when it finally did start after several seconds of cranking it ran perfectly.  Power to the fuel pump runs through NO
contacts in the fuel pump relay and separately through NO contacts in the oil pressure sending unit.
  When starting the engine the ignition is turned on and the ECM turns on the fuel pump for two seconds through the FuelPumpRelay located on the firewall. The fuel rail is pressurized and the engine starts and develops oil pressure. After two seconds the FuelPumpRelay is turned off and power runs through NO contacts in the oil pressure sending unit.

• Thanks 2

My '88 model must have something wrong with it. I can unplug the oil pressure sensor/switch and my fuel pump will run to prime the system and shut off as it should after a few seconds. When I start the engine it runs just fine with the fuel pump powered by the fuel pump relay. I have tried it a couple of different times just to verify. I wish someone else would try unplugging their oil pressure sensor and report the results they get when they try to start the engine.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My '88 model must have something wrong with it. I can unplug the oil pressure sensor/switch and my fuel pump will run to prime the system and shut off as it should after a few seconds. When I start the engine it runs just fine with the fuel pump powered by the fuel pump relay. I have tried it a couple of different times just to verify. I wish someone else would try unplugging their oil pressure sensor and report the results they get when they try to start the engine.

The ECM  energizes the fuel pump relay both for priming and for running. The prime we all know is to get enough fuel for the engine to start but when the ECM sees the pulsed signals from the ICM, it re-energizes the fuel pump relay. The switch in the oil pressure sender is a backup to the ECM control and connects directly to the fuel pump bypassing the relay.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheLeftTomb707 said:

Yes I still can't go past Ec?

It would seem it is either the climate control or a BCM issue. The contacts in the climate panel is not uncommon but to stick part way into diagnostic is unusual. 

I read through the diagnostic section of the FSM looking for failure to enter diagnostics and both relevant pages indicate to replace the climate panel. These are quick photos from the 1990 FSM. The diagnostic tree under #3 indicates replace panel if diagnostics won’t engage and the text on the next page, Chart “C” indicates the panel should be replaced if it displays normal information but will not enter diagnostics proper.

A7EB8D2F-359E-4D82-8318-DF39B497D8EA.jpeg

715053E5-2D4D-4142-941D-56A680E9EE2E.jpeg