Welting

Ed Davidson

5 minutes ago, Ed Davidson said:

Does anyone know where to get the kind of welting that goes on the front of a cowl, that the hood lays on.  I think its made of a heavy fabric and lays over the cowl at the firewall, for the hood to lay on.

different makes/models might need different welting. You'd do yourself a favor stating the vehicle info.

Apologies for being long-winded but I need to explain what I'm doing in order to give a better idea of what I need.  Yes it's a hood lace and I think the firewall is from a Packard 900. It's good to be a purist, I assume that's what most of the people who are reading this are, to one degree or another, so I hope you don't find this post offensive in that regard.

The car is a conglomeration of Packard parts, with an emphasis on "glom", the hood came from one place, the engine and chassis from another, the rear body and fenders from somewhere else.  The sill was made somewhere else.  Which is how it was given to me as a package.  The owner is a serious collector who just wants a fun car to drive around town in. There is no attempt here to craft a faithful reproduction and I've got to admit never worked this way before.  But it

s what the owner wants and is willing to pay for, so I've taken it on.  We'll be adding metal to extend the hood and I'm making a new cowl.