For Sale:  1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - $18,000 - Millsboro, DE - Not Mine

For Sale: 1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - $18,000 - Millsboro, DE

1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe. Recently new: Lion high compression head, leakless water pump, radiator, intake and exhaust manifolds, reconditioned carb, radial Whitehall tires, 6-volt alternator.
Copy and paste in your email: 75ee8c94db1c323999f32c4ee140d8aa@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe.

'28 Ford Model A Sp Cp DE a.jpg

'28 Ford Model A Sp Cp DE b.jpg

'28 Ford Model A Sp Cp DE c.jpg

'28 Ford Model A Sp Cp DE d.jpg

'28 Ford Model A Sp Cp DE e.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, suchan said:

Nice for the price.

I don't recall seeing cowl lights on a pre-1930 Model A before, but I haven't been into Model A's for quite a while.

Black wheels and tires would be a good start.

X2 suchan, White walls on straw or Tacoma cream wheels are like gilding the proverbial lily. Would look much better with black tires. Landau irons are upside down. Nice Model A for the price.

Cowl lights were only standard on the '28 Town Car, '29 Cabriolet, Town Sedan and Town Car otherwise an add on.

Edited by AzBob
Additional info (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AzBob said:

Cowl lights were only standard on the '28 Town Car, '29 Cabriolet, Town Sedan and Town Car otherwise an add on.

I am no expert on model A Fords, and it has been a long time since I was around them very much. But the cowl lamps on 1928 and 1929 model As other than the 1929 cabriolet and a few specific models of four-door sedans even as an add on was heavily debated decades ago. The general consensus at that time was that they were not available from the factory except as standard equipment on the few specific models and as an option on a couple of four-door sedan models. There were a few (very few!) known cases of dealers adding the cowl lamps to other cars to make a sale. Otherwise, not likely.

About thirty years ago, some friends really into model As told me that some minor mention of some special circumstance had been found that resulted in the factory installing cowl lamps on a very small number of other cars.

And the floodgates opened!

Hundreds of people suddenly installed cowl lamps on coupes, roadsters, and two-door sedans!

As a person that has studied literally THOUSANDS of era photographs under a magnifying glass, I can with some authority say that I have never seen a 1928 or 1929 model A Ford OTHER THAN the models supposed to have them that had cowl lamps in an era photo!!

There are almost certainly more model A Fords (1928/'29) that never should have had those cowl lamps originally on the roads today than were ever on the road with them in the early 1930s!

To me? It is like painting an antique car in "clown colors". Anybody with a few extra dollars COULD have had ANY car painted ANY color they wanted? It doesn't make it the way they were 99.99999 percent of the time.

Your car? You can do whatever you like with it. You do not need my permission. My car? I like my car to look like it was ripped right out of an era photograph! Except in color? And at that an appropriate color. It is an antique automobile, I want it to look like it did way back when! I am not a true purist. I like a few appropriate era accessories on my car, like it may have actually had back when it was someone's pride and joy. I am not into judging, I don't care about lost points for some minor detail. And I like to drive my cars more than I like to clean them. And I don't mind if they have a few scratches from being enjoyed!

However, every time I see these cowl lamps on a 1928/'29 model A that shouldn't have them? It ruins the whole car for me. I am sure part of my problem with them is that one of my longest time best friends had a 1929 model A town sedan. And he was very proud of those cowl lamps his car was supposed to have! To me, they should still be something special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, the cabriolet in 1929 was the one non-sedan that originally came with the cowl lamps! I knew someone over fifty years ago that had one of them. The body is very interesting, wood framed if I recall correctly? Although it looks very similar to the regular coupe models (especially the sport coupe!), the construction and moldings are quite different!

Love that car Jeff P. Correct color also as I recall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad car for the price, just don't use it as an example for a correctly restored Model A.  I see a mix of 28 and 29 parts. missing parts, wrong parts and wrong colors.  Interior not shown.  Cowl lamps are definitely wrong for a 28-29 Sport Coupe.

I see no reason why a dealer couldn't put cowl lamps on a 28 or 29 car regardless of the body style.  Even if it is incorrect, I like them on my Special Coupe.                 John

20210620_123530[1].jpg

• Like 3