1923 Nash Four Series 40 Sport Touring on Hemmings

I can't remember seeing a 4 cyl Nash for sale. Looks nice! Of course parts would be a problem.....

More pics in ad....

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1923-nash-four-west-newton-pa-954828

Nash Motor Company vehicles accounted for barely more than 1.5 percent of all U.S. auto production in 1923, with total output that year of 41,652 units, so finding any survivor from the era is a significant occurrence. This 1923 Nash Four Series 40 Sport Touring, to use its proper name, is being offered at no reserve by the family of the man who bought it in 1956 and reportedly restored it in the 1970s. The seller, the daughter of the late owner, says the Nash has not been operated in approximately 20 years, but describes the car as being largely original except for an older repaint and to need “some TLC.” The seller says that the Nash’s present level of functionality is unknown, but that the car apparently ran 20 years ago and is considered a family heirloom. The seller states that the Nash is “free of rust.”

Nash Motor Company vehicles accounted for barely more than 1.5 percent of all U.S. auto production in 1923, with total output that year of 41,652 units, so finding any survivor from the era is a significant occurrence. This 1923 Nash Four Series 40 Sport Touring, to use its proper name, is being offered at no reserve by the family of the man who bought it in 1956 and reportedly restored it in the 1970s. The seller, the daughter of the late owner, says the Nash has not been operated in approximately 20 years, but describes the car as being largely original except for an older repaint and to need “some TLC.” The seller says that the Nash’s present level of functionality is unknown, but that the car apparently ran 20 years ago and is considered a family heirloom. The seller states that the Nash is “free of rust.”

fe37222c-8885-47b2-8633-9748c9255177.jpg4adeceff-08c3-4b4e-ba93-1e0719fa5145.jpge36f26fb-afb4-46ec-9a51-2643d461e992.jpg

• Like 2

Well maintained for a long term storage car. Not running can mean many things but In this case if the engine turns over and has compression and the price is low enough it would be an enjoyable recommissioning project. I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with the engine. Could be wrong but I bet someone is going to get a good bargain.

This one reminds me of mine in a lot of ways... leaky rear axle, creative wiring, and a exhaust system in need of a new exhaust system. 

All kidding aside, It looks like a nice car. I would be interested in driving a 4 cylinder Nash of this era to see how it compares to the 6 cylinder.

It's got a transmission lock key and a water pump, the next owner is already ahead of me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do remember this car at some local shows in the 1970s when I lived in western PA. I will have to check my old photos......

I only have a partial shot of it at the Perryopolis Auto Auction Car show the summer of 1973. West Newton was only about 5 miles away.