Stutz Cast Iron Clock

AzBob

This is the closest I will ever come to owning a Stutz. 🙂

I picked up this cast iron "Stutz" logo alarm clock at the Fountain Hills, AZ clock and watch regional yesterday. (Think swap meet for clocks and watches. )

No markings outside or inside as to the actual clock movement maker. The only markings on the back is a 4, 14 which I believe to be a date mark of April 1914.

Anyone seen anything similar to this?

IMG_4539.jpeg.777be75989582d32648a66733d9afa66.jpeg

IMG_4541.jpeg.8838f17358f27f7fdf5452dc26dcda65.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg.292345796545f1923eb4635d71548820.jpeg

Edited by AzBob
Additional info (see edit history)
  • Like 9

My post is only to prompt some thoughts on this,

Back nearly 50 years ago in one if the antique car subscriptions I had, there was an ad from some vintage watch company selling antique pocket watches having many brands of car logos on the faces in the same place up top.  I was quite naïve back then and ordered one with a DeSoto logo.  I rec'd it no problem but it just looked fake.  The watch case was very much older than the later 30s logo design so i contacted them with my suspicions.  They quickly refunded me after i sent it back.

I should have known there would be no way that a vendor could ever find that many brands of logos on so many pocket watches and should have known that during the depression, what watch company would have done that.

Just thinking on how many pocket watches were sold by that vendor nearly 50 years ago to elderly car guys and now the grandkids are selling (or keeping) "my late Grandpa's genuine advertising watch" because he had it since "forever".   So I'm just saying some of those fakes, AKA fantasy watches, still get sold as genuine ones today by unknowing people. 

-I question why an alarm clock (used in bedrooms) would have an advertising logo in a bedroom where very few people would ever see it?       

-also the color of some of the logo is not as "jet black" as the rest of the face printing, so it seems it was added after the face was made?

.                                                                                

• Like 1

18 hours ago, F&J said:

-I question why an alarm clock (used in bedrooms) would have an advertising logo in a bedroom where very few people would ever see it?       

F&J, you bring up a good point as to why advertising would be on a bedroom alarm clock.

18 hours ago, F&J said:

also the color of some of the logo is not as "jet black" as the rest of the face printing, so it seems it was added after the face was made?

Looking at the logo under magnification, I don't see any evidence of post application. Logo printing appears to be the same high quality, shade and reflection as other features on the dial.

But hey, I was given the clock for free and being cast iron it certainly has some heft to it.  Oh, it does run and the alarm works. 😀

Edited by AzBob
Additional info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's called an Ironclad Clock. Sold to many car companies, and used as a salesman's promotion. Date is 1911-1915. I have a Pierce Arrow unit that is identical. Value is HUGE..........way more than you can imagine. The clock is real and correct. I would pay 5 thousand for it without a thought..........now, I think I have photos of mine somewhere. 

PS- I'm not making an offer, as I have three cars in the pipeline and need all my money. I had the matching Stutz factory showroom lamp with a casting of the engine that matches the clock. I sold it for a BUNCH of money back in the 80's when I found it and was still poor. 

Here is the back side of mine. Works great. Mine is from 1911-1912. IT IS NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE.

IMG_8659.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It's called an Ironclad Clock. Sold to many car companies, and used as a salesman's promotion. Date is 1911-1915. I have a Pierce Arrow unit that is identical. Value is HUGE..........way more than you can imagine. The clock is real and correct.

Wow, Thanks Ed. 👍

• Like 3